1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

file name oddity - all i's and l's have red fringes

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by wguru, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wguru

wguru Thread Starter

This's a new one on me. All my file names have the letters i and l displayed with a red fringe. Also any highlighed file names appear as pale green (I sort of recall choosing that particular aspect somewhere, ie; the 'green tint') and the 'normally' red fringed i's and l's are instead now seen as pinkish.

'Obviously' this's due to some change I made somewhere, but where?

I've tried swapping out given themes (I don't use Aero) and I've looked at all the font settings in 'window color', but so far haven't found where I made the 'pale green' change (I'm assuming that the i's and l's oddity is related to the pale green text change)/

I also checked IE8's settings and even used it's restore to defaults, but still the i's and l's appear as described.

When first noticing this oddity, I also began seeing 'pale green' tinted text on some of the desktop icons's text which are normally all white (i's and l's included), but the green tinted lettering only appeared after I had highlighted a given desktop icon and then done the same to other icons, and only after an icon was un-highlighted, only then were any previously highlighted icon's lettering displayed with a green tint.

I worked around the icon lettering color issue by unticking something like 'personalize something or other', but now I can't even find that setting again (and yes I do write most these things down).

At first I thought maybe themes or window color settings somehow caused the i's and l's text oddity, but changing themes and checking font colors there, didn't reveal anything.

Almost would like finding this oddity's malware, but not likely on this fully patched W7Pro machine (which I rarely deviate from safe searching habits).

Any ideas?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918838

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice