File name program

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jscuzza

I need a program that can do a mass change to file names all at once. I have a lot of pictures and I wanna rename em from what they are currently titled to something like <event>-<#>

Anyone know a program that can mass file name change? Kinda like what mediamonkey does to music files.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
Do all of the filenames have some sequential names like DCP_0001.jpg, DCP_0002.jpg, DCP_0003.jpg? And are they in folders that have some sequential names like C:\Pictures\2006-07-05, C:\Pictures\2006-07-12, C:\Pictures\2006-07-19 (and the filenames are not duplicated in folders)?

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
I believe you can do that natively in Window XP as well. If you name the first file the base name and then select all the other files in the directory and rename them it will number them up.

But I also use Lupas Rename for more extreme stuff.
http://rename.lupasfreeware.org/

Windows will rename a large number of files in a limited way.

If you select say 10 .jpg files and rename one while the others are selected the rest will rename to the same name but with a '(#)' after it.

Say you rename them Hols.jpg you will get

Hols.jpg
Hols(1).jpg
Hols(2).jpg
Hols(3).jpg
Hols(9).jpg

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I think if you look at the rename program we're talking about, you'll forget about trying to do it in Windows. ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online