1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File naming

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by user1, Dec 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. user1

user1 Thread Starter

Relative to all the issues I've read, this seems pretty small, but here goes:

I'm having problems with all my file names (from a server) truncating to the 8.3 standard when i double clik open to quark xpress for NT4. is there a quick fix to this? there must be some setting on my pc that will take care of this right?

help.
    thanks.

2. plejon

plejon

I'm using quarkxpress 4.1 on windows. I can open files from local and server disk with the long filenames. I don't see the truncation.

Do you have this problem in Quarkxpress only ? Do other programs display the filesnames in the server correctly ?

Do you know what OS the server is running ?

3. user1

user1 Thread Starter

I'm running QX4.1 on a PC with Windows NT4. From my hard drive, I can open files with long names, but it's the files from one of the servers that I use that truncates the file names. It seems to be isolated to QX; other files and apps are ok.

So what happens is, I use the applications explorer to locate my file (which displays the long name) off the server, double click to open file. Once in QX, the file name is truncated to the 8.3 standard.

This problem is isolated to this one server, which has all my QX files and causes all kinds of problems. I can't switch it off this server either so that's not an option.

Anything?

4. plejon

plejon

This is very weird.

The fact that other programs (explorer, word, excel) see the long filenames points to Quark as the culprit for this behaviour.

However, if Quark can open long filenames on other servers, this would suggest that the problem is a server configuration issue. Try to find out from your system administrator how this server is different from other servers. This should point you in the direction of a solution.

I have checked the quarkxpress support website and only found a problem in v 3.32, which should be solved in 4.1. (see below) Have you by any chance upgraded from quark 3.x to 4.x ? Maybe not all 3.x components were replaced correctly ? Just guessing, but maybe a clean 4.x install woudl help ?

I also found another article with similar symptoms related to photoshop. (see below) It's probably not relavant for you, but I just included it because the author mentions a workaround that does allow him to see the long names: dragging the files to photoshop instead of double clicking them.

Good Luck !

<b>QuarkXPress 3.32r3 does not support long file names under NT 4.0</b>
    XPress
    Problem:
    If you type more than 8 characters when you save page as EPS in QuarkXPress 3.32r3 on Windows 98 or NT, you receive the error "this filename is invalid".

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Launch QuarkXPress and create a new document
    2. Draw a picture box and assign it a color
    3. Select File>Save Page As EPS and type in a name that is more than 8 characters long. When you click save, you will get the error message, "This filename is invalid".
    4. This does not happen in Windows 95 or Windows 2000 RC2.

Note:
    This problem occurs only when running QuarkXPress 3.32 under Windows NT 4.0. Windows 98 does not appear to be affected.

<b>Question :</b>

This is wierd. I am running Photoshop 5.5 on Windows2000. If I drag a .jpg file with a long filename,
    9 plus characters, onto Photoshop, the file will open up into Photoshop with the correct name. If I
    double click on a .jpg file with a long filename, it wil open with a shortend name.

Example: longfilename.jpg
    Drag will open as "longfilename.jpg"
    Double Click will open as "LONGFI~1.JPG"

This also happens with .eps files.

Any suggestions on how to make the file open correctly even when doubld clicked?

<b>Answer</b>
    -Upgrade to Photoshop 6. I think whats happening is Photoshop 5.5 when checking back for the file soon
    after it launches because of the program association & "see's" it as an 8.3 file...Why ? Because its
    a little buggy on 2000. When you drag it into photoshop it does not do the same check name. A search
    on adobe.com will show you that there are hundred's of 8.3 related bugs with jpg & eps files with 5.5
    on 2000...The suggestion is always that its fixed when using version 6..

5. user1

user1 Thread Starter

Thanks PL. I think I have narrowed the problem to server (which runs NetWareFS) and my harddrive (and the other server, which runs NTFS) and Quark, which probably didn't take into consideration the longname issues with various filing systems.

Of course, since I'm not a techie, my IT group doesn't wanna hear it from me... so I wait....

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice