1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FIle Permissions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Loki57701, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loki57701

Loki57701 Thread Starter

I have a really simple home file server that runs WinXp pro (its only for 2 users). I have the folders I want to share mapped to my computer as network drives. And I use remote desktop connection to manage the server.

-I also use the server to download different things and they go into the shared folder when there done. Well If I want to rename or delete the downloaded program I get the "this file is being used by another program or user" error. Ive tried exiting out the download program, all programs that might use it and even rebooting but it doesnt help. Why does this keep happening? I found a freeware program that will allow me to unlock the file so it can be deleted or renamed but Id still like to know why this keeps happening to everything that goes into the shared folder. The permissions for the folder are set to allow me to rename or delete anything in it. I know WinXp wasnt intended to be used as a server but what Im doing is pretty simpe and I dont think I need a server OS for only 2 users.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!