1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File & Printer sharing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by aaronqq, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aaronqq

aaronqq Thread Starter

I have a desktop XP machine connected to a router and through DSL to my Yahoo ISP. I bought

a new laptop which I wirelessly surf the web ok through my router. Now I need to access my

printer connected to the desktop computer and to access the "My Documents" folder on my

desktop computer but cannot. By the way, I am running Vista Business Edition on the laptop

and XP on the desktop.

Desktop Computer setup:
    - Local area connection: File and Printer Sharing enabled
    - My Documents folder properties:
    Sharing & Security: "Share this folder on the network", "Share name: My Documents",
    "Allow network users to change my files"

Laptop computer:
    Where do I navigate to so I can access the shared desktop computer "My Document" files?
    Is there something I need to setup on my laptop to access the shared host files and printer?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. cancon

cancon

on the laptop go to start>run and type //computername/My documents

or you can just find it in my network places.

As for the printer, you have to go to start>pronters and faxes on the desktop, right-click on the printer, and share it.

Then you have to go to printers and faxes on the laptop and click on add pronter.

Go to network printer and browse. It should show up there.

Hope it helped:D

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Also it helps if both computers have the same workgroup name

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice