1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

file problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by starfire, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starfire

starfire Thread Starter

Hello:
    Here is my problem. About two months ago I acquired a second hand computer with a windows98 operating system.Here is what happened. I downloaded a file from the internet to the floppy disk. When I went to read it, I clicked the my computer icon. Then I clicked on the floppy drive icon, and then I clicked open from the drop down menu. When I did this a window opened that asked me what file I wanted to use to open the file on the floppy disk. I wasn't sure what to do so I clicked on the font file from the choices available. When I did this the first window closed and a second window opened that said "this is not a valid font file." Now it displays this statement every time I try to open any downloaded file from the harddrive or floppy disk. How can I get back into the first window to delete the font command and what command should I put in its place. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

starfire

2. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

What was the file extension of the file you downloaded? How about the extension of the other files you try to open? If you figure that out, you can then re-associate the file extension with the program normally used to open it and eliminate the problem. When you find the problem file type, open Windows Explorer, find a file with that extension, single left click on it to highlight it, hold down the Shift key while single right clicking on the file. This should open a drop down list with the option of OPEN WITH which you select. If you know what program is used to open the file extension, scroll down the list and select the program and making sure the box on the bottom left, "always use this program etc.." is checked and hit OK. If you dont know the program but know the extension, post back with that information.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice