1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File Question?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mixx941, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Hello all.

I keep having this problem with space on my C drive.

About two weeks ago I deleted one gig of files just so I could try to run defrag or let Norton Anti-Virus finish a scan. Now I check and I have under 50MB left!

I know about the paging file and stuff like that, but my question is...I am running a program called TreeSize Professional, and I see under my C drive, in the directory C:\Documents and Settings\My Name\Local Settings\Temp...it is taking up 1.5GB.

My question is...can I free up any space here...or anywhere for that matter...because this drive has NEVER been defragged in it's career (over 3 years) and it hasn't been checked for viruses since June because Norton won't complete without more disk space.

Thanks

-Mark

P.S. I am running XP Home

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

Delete everything you can in that Temp folder. Windows won't let you delete anything it thinks it's using in that folder. Don't forget to empty the Recycle Bin. Windows won't run correctly with only 50mg of FREE space on the harddrive no matter how much RAM you have.

3. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

So I just Select All in that temp folder and delete all of it (1,118 items)?

Also, is there another way to free up space? I have emptied all of my temp internet files, cookies, and history.

I keep most of my programs on the D drive. That is getting low too...anything I can do to free up space there?

Thanks

-Mark

4. Emtronics

Emtronics

Yes delete all of it. Windows may not let you delete some of it though. Just go through it and delete it in sections. In other words, a few files at a time. Windows will tell you what file it won't delete. How big is your drive? The partitions?

5. GazmanAus

GazmanAus

Just so that we all know, what are the sizes of your hard-drives?

Chances are that you're going to have to bite the bullet and uninstall some of the applications that you hardly use. To get an idea of how often you use and installed app, click Control Panel-Add/Remove Programs. Windows will show a list of installed apps and if you click on an entry, it will show an indication of usage (rarely, occasionally, frequently, etc). Anything that you rarely use, you could probably live without.

Also, if you like playing games, uninstall them after you're done with them. Some of the newer games can take up gigabytes of space.

6. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

OK...here is my responses.

1. They aren't partitions. My C drive is a 13GB 7200 Maxtor. My D Drive is a 40GB 7200 Maxtor. My G Drive is a 80GB 7200 Maxtor.

These are physical drives and not partitions.

I looked into the program files on C and only found about 500-750MB of program files...not that many compared to the 17GB on the D drive.

Yes I do play a few games...a few of them do take up a gig...you're right!

I do ALOT of multimedia things from editing video with Premiere to running my own internet radio station...so I have a lot of crap I need to do those things.

Now I keep the video all on the G drive...nothing else is on there. I try to keep programs and docs on the D drive. And I don't install anything to the C drive.

Thanks

-Mark

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you're really running out of space on the disks, I think you need to consider an investment in larger disks!

8. polishox

polishox

turn off SYSTEM RESTORE or turn the default 12% usage down to about 5 or 6%.

Since you haven't done routine maintainence, I am sure if you had a crash, you wouldn't miss too much...especially since you don't have that much to begin with!

9. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Yes, that's a good point johnwill, but I can't lose ANY data on ANY of these disks. I use all of it pretty much everyday! Polishox, I would miss EVERYTHING! I have a total of 133GB of space. If I only have 100MB free on one drive, 1GB free on the other, and 5 free on the 3rd...I'd say I have prescious stuff.

So I still have the okay to delete those files?

-Mark

10. bhav

bhav

I see that you disabled System restore- but have you also turned off Hibernation? That creates a hib????.sys file that is as large as your total RAM. That could give you back some space.

11. JohnWill

And this affects buying a larger hard disk how? :confused: If this stuff is really "precious", how do you back it up?

12. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Hibernation is disabled because I only have 120MB of free space on C.

johnwill, this is turning into a war of questions. What's the difference if I back it up or not? I have never lost any data in my computing life due to anything because I build my systems with precision.

But...to answer your question, I would need a way to transfer the contents of my C drive to it I guess...If everything would remain the same only on a bigger hard drive. I know Windows and my system could run faster with space free...I have NO PROBLEM spending the money for a big hard drive...but I need a way to make an exact copy of my C drive so that no data or programs is lost!

-Mark

P.S. I tried disabling system restore, and I didn't get the space back...still just 120MB.

13. JohnWill

Maxtor and WD both ship their hard disks with a cloning utility to make an exact copy of a hard disk. Of course, there is also GHOST, Drive Image, etc. Plenty of ways to make an image.

As far as never losing any data, that did bring a smile to my face. There are only two types of computer users, those that have lost data, and those that are going to. :) I don't care if you build your systems with the precision of a swiss watch, unless you know something that nobody else does, hard disk sometimes fail, and many times the failure is sudden! Anything that's on that drive and not backed up is lost, no matter how much "precision" the system was built with. I'm not even getting into the possibility of a virus or Trojan corrupting the data. Let's also not forget the many bug riddled Microsoft applications and operating systems that many of us use. There are many ways to lose/corrupt data, and most of them aren't even under our control, unless we just leave the power switch turned off... :rolleyes:

Assuming that because it never happened, you can't lose data is a very foolish assumption, one not supported by the weight of evidence in the computing world.

14. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Yes..I have Maxtor drives and have always been successfull with them. The only problem is that their software only recognises 2 drives. When I bought my 80GB Maxtor 7200, the software didn't see the drive with the ATA card. But Windows did and so that's how I've been using it.

I have Norton Ghost, but I don't see how to make a copy of the hard drive to put on a CD or whatever? How do I do that?

As far as the data loss "joke", I know that data loss can happen at any time due to anything including viruses. But my point was is that my C drive (Windows Drive) has gotta be 4 years old...it has had 3 operating systems on it and many viruses...and nothing has happened...yet!

I know getting a new hard drive would be the best for free space for maitnence, and to run faster...but if those Hard Drive programs that come with the drives don't even see the drive, how are they supposed to copy?

-Mark

15. JohnWill

I suspect that getting GHOST to write to the CD will depend on the version you have. I have GHOST 2003, and it writes directly to CD's, USB connected disks, and networked resources, as well as local hard disks. Perhaps it's time for an upgrade.

I'm not sure what software you're referring to when you say it only recognizes two drives. If you're referring to Maxblast from Maxtor, why can't you temporarly connect just two drives if it has that limitation?

It's probably overdue for failure. :rolleyes:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114804

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice