File recovery of a Wordpad file

Dagurleo

My computer deleted almost everything when i restarted it the other day. I have no idea why. I don't really care about most of the files. there is just a particular file i need back. I've tried using many file recovery programs all of which find the file. But when i open the file after recovery the test in the file is all in this format
"
‰PNG
€ñÚC\éøeÖ–”*Që@¬yŠ«m÷PV*g2Pb“ìÊòÒµ‚ÌrOÀû
ÁœŒA£Sò%{#ZñÞ¿ŒXs̈åûõ(ÓÜÄ£Gd ¹^¾&¬=Xï/äÈÈ‘ ªá1´×"

I really need the original Wordpad file back. any help would be appreciated.

The file is encrypted, and unless you learn the key to decrypt it there is not many options left.

Instead of using file recovery tools which maybe only claim to be finding something, you should use search box in windows explorer, after going to:
control panel -> Folder options -> Search
And setting relevant search settings to find your file.

If "File history service", or "Windows backup" service is running on machine recovering should be easy.

Otherwise refer to bellow link to perform System Restore, which puts your system back in time:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

Once you get your file you should clean up your PC since it likely contains malware, unless you did something else without knowing it.

EDIT:
Ah no, restore doesn't affect personal files:
Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Just to make sure, you logged into your computer and there were no icons? I am guessing you are in a temporary profile. Assuming you were saving in the documents / desktop folders, check C: > Users > <your profile name> and if thats there go into that folder.

If you have other files with random names, you may have ransomware

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online