File recovery programs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

whitelightnin

Ok, first off, Im sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

I have a need to get, or I should say try to get, some pictures off of a computer that I used to use. The computer has still been being used, just not by me, by one of my friends. About 4 yrs ago, I had some pics on it that I need now for a court hearing that they could be used as evidence in.

Im almost positive they were deleted. But, I do know of software that is made for retrieving things like this. I have tried out Recuva,(not on that computer yet where the pics were), and i know that it works. Im just not an expert on deleted file recovery and was wondering if anyone in here might know if that program is the best to try with, or if there are better ones to try to use. Seeing as how its free, im assuming its not the best, but I thought i would ask and see. And if this has already been posted somewhere else, by all means shoot me the link and i will read up on it.

One last thing, it has been so long ago since I was looking at these pics, I cannot remember if I actually uploaded them to this computer, or if I simply viewed them on line, on my sprint.com account. Would this matter? Im about 95 percent positive that they were viewed, in some way, on the computer in question though.

Thanks for any help!

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Deleted files can be recovered .. But NOT if the Hard Drive space they were in has been written over.
Here's some Freeware suggestions

If they were viewed online, they may still be in a browser cache, or were deleted from a cache, so they may still be on the drive. At least some of them. Images have the advantage that they can sometimes still be used even if the recovered file is corrupted, with some parts of the image missing.

Free recovery applications:

Dr. Freeware Boot CD (also has partition tool, drive cloner and imager)
DiskDigger & NTFSWalker
Pandora Recovery (Free for personal use)
Smart Data Recovery
Recover Files
Roadkil's Undelete
Recuva
Restoration
Free Undelete (NTFS only)
Softperfect File Recovery
ADRC Data Recovery Tools
Undelete Plus
Data Recovery
PCI File Recovery
DriveRescue
Ultimate Data Recovery
Disk Investigator

Commercial:

O&O Disk Recovery
Paragon Mount Everything (Mounts any file system, CD/DVD burning, File Manager, Partitioner)
GetDataBack (For FAT or NTFS)
Ontrack EasyRecovery Pro
File Scavenger
Recover My Files
RecoverPlus Pro
Zero Assumption Recovery
[email protected] File Recovery
Final Recovery
Recover4All Professional
Easeus Data Recovery Wizard
NTFS Recovery

whitelightnin

Does anybody have any experience with any of these? I am using Recuva, I have heard good things about it.

I know that the more the hard drive is used after files are deleted, the more likely they are to be written over by the new stuff, whether by regular programs running and downloading updates and what not, or by your action of putting more files on. I prefer Recuva myself. If they were viewed online, and no web page has them (including web archive(s)), you might check in Temporary Internet Files or the equivalent, which is on your hard drive, but it's likely that those would have been replaced, too, after 4 years.

It has been so long since the files were deleted. I am afraid there is no too much chance to get them recovered 'cause your deleted pictures data are likely to be overwritten more than once. So generally speaking you don't have that much luckiness. However, who knows, maybe there is some kind of hope. Except Recuva, there are many other photo recovery program such as Wondershare Photo Recovery which can do the job. Anyway it's worth a try!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online