1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File recovery programs

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by whitelightnin, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. whitelightnin

whitelightnin Thread Starter

Ok, first off, Im sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

I have a need to get, or I should say try to get, some pictures off of a computer that I used to use. The computer has still been being used, just not by me, by one of my friends. About 4 yrs ago, I had some pics on it that I need now for a court hearing that they could be used as evidence in.

Im almost positive they were deleted. But, I do know of software that is made for retrieving things like this. I have tried out Recuva,(not on that computer yet where the pics were), and i know that it works. Im just not an expert on deleted file recovery and was wondering if anyone in here might know if that program is the best to try with, or if there are better ones to try to use. Seeing as how its free, im assuming its not the best, but I thought i would ask and see. And if this has already been posted somewhere else, by all means shoot me the link and i will read up on it.

One last thing, it has been so long ago since I was looking at these pics, I cannot remember if I actually uploaded them to this computer, or if I simply viewed them on line, on my sprint.com account. Would this matter? Im about 95 percent positive that they were viewed, in some way, on the computer in question though.

Thanks for any help!

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    Deleted files can be recovered .. But NOT if the Hard Drive space they were in has been written over.
    Here's some Freeware suggestions

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

If they were viewed online, they may still be in a browser cache, or were deleted from a cache, so they may still be on the drive. At least some of them. Images have the advantage that they can sometimes still be used even if the recovered file is corrupted, with some parts of the image missing.

Free recovery applications:

Dr. Freeware Boot CD (also has partition tool, drive cloner and imager)
    DiskDigger & NTFSWalker
    Pandora Recovery (Free for personal use)
    Smart Data Recovery
    Recover Files
    Roadkil's Undelete
    Recuva
    Restoration
    Free Undelete (NTFS only)
    Softperfect File Recovery
    ADRC Data Recovery Tools
    Undelete Plus
    Data Recovery
    PCI File Recovery
    DriveRescue
    Ultimate Data Recovery
    Disk Investigator

Commercial:

O&O Disk Recovery
    Paragon Mount Everything (Mounts any file system, CD/DVD burning, File Manager, Partitioner)
    GetDataBack (For FAT or NTFS)
    Ontrack EasyRecovery Pro
    File Scavenger
    Recover My Files
    RecoverPlus Pro
    Zero Assumption Recovery
    [email protected] File Recovery
    Final Recovery
    Recover4All Professional
    Easeus Data Recovery Wizard
    NTFS Recovery

4. whitelightnin

whitelightnin Thread Starter

Does anybody have any experience with any of these? I am using Recuva, I have heard good things about it.

5. baladio

baladio

I know that the more the hard drive is used after files are deleted, the more likely they are to be written over by the new stuff, whether by regular programs running and downloading updates and what not, or by your action of putting more files on. I prefer Recuva myself. If they were viewed online, and no web page has them (including web archive(s)), you might check in Temporary Internet Files or the equivalent, which is on your hard drive, but it's likely that those would have been replaced, too, after 4 years.

6. JackAlexander

JackAlexander

It has been so long since the files were deleted. I am afraid there is no too much chance to get them recovered 'cause your deleted pictures data are likely to be overwritten more than once. So generally speaking you don't have that much luckiness. However, who knows, maybe there is some kind of hope. Except Recuva, there are many other photo recovery program such as Wondershare Photo Recovery which can do the job. Anyway it's worth a try!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916921

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice