1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File Recovery - URGENT

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Gavlar, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gavlar

Gavlar Thread Starter

Ok, I'm not going to bother explaining the ins and outs of it but heres the gist:

I spent a long while doing coursework the other weekend. My PC was being used so I had to use another one. I live booted off an Ubuntu CD to use the OpenOffice program as the PC I was using didnt have a word processing program. I saved the files to a USB Drive. I forgot to back the files up on my PC. I went to print the file; drive now "unrecognisable usb device". I blow hard into the connection and now its reconised. However, the drive is empty. Tried using multiple file recovery programs. All of them either dont detect the drive, say its not readable, say its not ready, or another error.

I can see it in explorer but its empty. If I look at the probities it says it has 0 bytes. This has happened before but I just reformatted the drive as it had no important data on it.

I NEED HELP, the coursework is due in Friday and its work 65% of my GCSE. If I dont recovery these files tonight I'm not going to be able to finish the coursework and hand it in by Friday and I will surely fail (because even with 100% on the written test thats only about a D grade).

PLEASE HELP ME! How can I recover my files???? If I reformat it, will it allow me to recover the files????

Awaiting a speedy reply,
    Gavin

2. stantley

stantley

3. Alternatech

Alternatech

Do NOT reformat

If you can get tech support at your school, then I would ask them if they have a file recovery program that could retrieve the files. Otherwise, check with your friends - broadcast to the world. But you may end up needing to purchase something. Several software comes up in google when I searched on "usb flash drive file recovery"

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Did you EVER see the files on the USB drive.
    It is I think unlikely that they were in fact EVER saved.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!