1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

file recovery

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bikerider1955, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bikerider1955

bikerider1955 Thread Starter

hello all,

after turning on my PC I immediately got a error that would not let me go any further, something about a faulty keyboard which of course was not the problem. could not do a thing so did the system restore from the recovery console the was already installed on the emachines T3990 computer XP service pack 3 .

I guess it reloaded windows XP to another partition called recovery disc(D;) . when I go to "my computer" I can see the local disc (C;) area with usage of 74 GB of the original 80GB so I'm assuming that all my music and jpeg pictures and PDFs are still there but I cannot see them. also all my progarms like printers, photo software, etc are there but I can't access them in a way to open them up. Mainly i want my music and photos. What do I need to do? and how do I get back on the original 'c' disc area to use the computer with everything I had installed like I used to.

I'm wondering if the last windows update I let install was bogus as they are not supporting XP any longer.

thanks for your help.

2. Tabvla

Tabvla

Hi BikeRider1955, welcome to the TSG Forums... :D

At this point it does not really matter what went wrong, what is important now is to safeguard your data files - music, photos, documents and so on.

The only safe way to do that is as follows: -

1. Carefully remove the HDD from your computer
    2. Connect the HDD to another computer (see note below)
    3. Copy the files that you want to keep to a USB drive or SD card

Once you have a copy of all your data files we can then see if we can fix Windows - but that is going to be very risky - so you need to get your data files to a safe place before you do anything else.

NOTE

The HDD in your computer is either an IDE or SATA type configuration. What you need is an IDE or SATA to USB cable. These only cost a few dollars so it is not a big outlay. You then connect the HDD to the cable and the cable to a USB port on the receiving computer. You then use Windows Explorer on the receiving computer to copy (not move) your files from your HDD to a USB drive or SD card.

T.

3. bikerider1955

could I just transfer direct to a thumb drive via the usb port?

4. Tabvla

Tabvla

Perhaps I misunderstood you. In your first Post you wrote as follows: -

If you cannot "see" them then how are you going to transfer them to a thumb drive..?

If I have misunderstood then you need to restate the situation.

T.

5. bikerider1955

well your right in some respects. I can see the local disc 'c' and open it to reveal basic folders like my music, drivers, program files, bundle, etc. but cant find for example pictures from my camera over the years. I can't find anywhere a large amount of gigabits , like 60-70 when I highlight every folder i can find but the disc shows that 74 gigs is being used. there was probably 40 gigs of pictures alone as there were in a large kb form.

I'm not a wizz at this kind of stuff, thanks for attempting to help me.

6. valis

valis Moderator

What is c shown as formatted as in disk management? NTFS or RAW? If the latter the data may well be gone.

Data that isnt backed up is data you neither want nor need. Was it backednup?

7. Tabvla

Tabvla

Cruel but true.... ;)

My feeling is that your answer to that question is No.... :eek: ..... in that case you get 10 penalty points on your computing-drivers license.

On a more practical note - go back to my first post and follow those instructions. Fixing your computer is a minor problem. What matters is saving your Data. Once its gone it is gone forever..... that is of course providing Disk Management reports that the disk is NTFS and not RAW - as previously noted by Valis.

T.

8. bikerider1955

ok so I put the problem ide hard drive as a slave in my other pc witch has a sata hard drive so don't have the a loose ribbon cable so I disconnected the one from the cd rom plugged in the power cable. thought that should do it but when I power up I only see the one local c hard drive. Am i doing or thinking something wrong?

9. valis

valis Moderator

Again; is it showing as RAW format or NTFS? And wasthe data backed up?

10. Tabvla

Tabvla

If you want to save your Data then you need to focus on what is important - saving your Data.

Firstly, you need to answer Valis' questions, so that we have an accurate view of your situation.

Secondly, you need to put aside fixing your computer and concentrate totally on saving your Data. A SATA to USB cable costs almost nothing - I have seen them for less than US$5. Connecting the disk the way you are doing it is going to only confuse both you and Windows - which is probably a recipe for a disaster.

T.

11. RobOman

RobOman

Putting the drive on the ribbon that your cdrom uses is the best way . now it only shows a c: drive. some of the repair defaults are to put your whole hard drive into a folder called windows.old look for that file if it is there all is well. the easiest way with xp to find your pictures is to go start/ search/ and let windows search for any pictures. if you see a picture that is missing then right click on it properties to find the location that it is now hiding. I am suggesting that you put your hard drive back into your pc for this part.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141434

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice