1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File removal

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by colinito, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. colinito

colinito Thread Starter

Hello Everyone,
    I have W7, Home Premium. I recently used a pirate location to try to download a programme for free. In so doing I obtained a virus. The virus has been removed.
    However, I am left with a file on my desktop which will not delete.
    I have searched for it's location on the computer, as I am told that it's l0ocation is not the desktop. There is no record of it anywhere in the computer.

Any advice how I can delete it please?

Colinito

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

3. AGTT

AGTT

Here's the official website for Unlocker.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Colonito:

My advice to you is to download and save the free version of

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100

SUPERAntiSpyware 4.47.0.1000

then close all open windows first, then install them both, then restart your computer, then follow these instructions:

Start Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Click "Updates(tab) - Check for Updates".

When the definition files have updated, click "OK".

Click "Scanner(tab) - Perform quick scan - Scan".

If infections are found during the scan, the number of infections will be highlighted in red.

When the scan is finished, click "Show Results".

Make sure that everything is selected, then click "Remove Selected".

If you're prompted to restart to finish the removal process, click "Yes".

Start SUPERAntiSpyware.

Click "Check for Updates".

When the definition files have updated, click "Close".

Click "Scan your Computer - Perform Quick Scan - Next".

If infections or problems are found during the scan, a list will appear.

When the scan is finished and the scan summary window appears, click "OK".

Make sure that everything in the list is selected, then click "Next".

If you're prompted to restart to finish the removal process, click "Yes".

-------------------------------------------------------------

5. colinito

colinito Thread Starter

!002richards and AGTT,
    Thanks for your advice. I am a little concerned about trying this step with Unlocker, I am not sure that the file is actually 'locked.' You will see why in my answer to Flavalee under this one. The file in question is a db file - whatever that is, but it appears to be a risidual file left from some of the crack and password malware that I deleted after the procedures listed below.

Flavalee,
    Thank you also, for your advice. I had a problem with my computer and went to Hijackthis website for assistance. I have done a scan and cleared/deleted all infections in most of the scans with -
    Adaware; AVG; Spybot; Housecall; Malwarebytes; OTM; Security check; System Look; Bit Defender; CK Scanner; ESETS. I have done a Hijackthis log after almost every one and in the last one, some items were recommended to be checked and fixed, which I did. I then did a Look scan and am awaiting the report on the last Look scan.
    I had Super AntiSpyware, but deleted it before any of the others were used.
    I will save the replies from all three of you, and if necessary, will try the Unlock when all is finished.

Thank you all very much. I shall return in a while to let you know the outcome.

Regards,

colinito

6. colinito

colinito Thread Starter

!002richards and AGTT and Flavalee,

I return as I promised.

I have at last finished all the processes through the Hijackthis website. Including numerous checks, scans and their respective logs.

There was a problem in my computer which was caused by downloading a pirated programme. This programme, after it was deleted, left behind an apparent 'file' on my desktop. The 'file' can not be moved or deleted and containes zero bytes and can do no harm. It will be left in a corner of the desktop!

I enquired about using the programme that you suggested, but was told that as it is not a file and only what remains, it is not moveable or deletable because the origin is not on the desktop and the computer does not recognise it as anything but a 'shortcut.'

So thank you for your interest, and I am sorry to have taken up your time.

Regards,

Colinito.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973373

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice