1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

file renaming

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by missangel8, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. missangel8

missangel8 Thread Starter

How do I rename a .tar filt to a .tgz file. The file has been zipped via winzip when I unzip I get several folders full of files. I am trying to do a manual firmware update for my stupid literati ereader.

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

You don't just rename a .tar (Tape ARchive) to a .tgz (Tape archive GZipped), they are different formats.
    You can convert one to the other, but both are used, typically, in the UNIX world. There are Windows and Mac programs that can handle both formats. But neither format is popular in the Windows or Mac worlds.

As for unzipping, it really all depends upon what you have put into the .tar or .tgz file to begin with as to what it gets re-constituted as. If it is just one file, or a collection of files from one directory, then you should not get more than one folders result. If it was some construct of a combination of folders, then the result may be the same construct of folders when unzipped.

I say MAY BE because some unzipping programs give you an option to get all the files back into the original construct, or you can override that and get all the files back in just one folder (you just better have unique file names, otherwise some files may get overwritten).

If all you want to do is replace a file or two, within the single compressed (.tar, .tgz, .zip .whatever) then some compression programs may give you that ability as well. Look into the features of your compression program.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976318

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice