1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File Server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DustySlider, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DustySlider

DustySlider Thread Starter

Situation: Currently running 1 server (Small Business Server 2000, domain and Active Directory) with about 35 workstations. I want to turn one of the workstations into a dedicated file server. That workstation that will become a file server is a P4 1.8ghz running WinXP, 1gb of ram, WD 7200rpm 120gb hd.

What's the best way you guys think of running it as a file server? Setting up one login in that file server and having everybody connect to it using that login, or setup individual logins for everybody?

2. DustySlider

And I'm also running into this problem where a file uploaded by one user is not deletable by another user. How do I get around this?

3. 5mi11er

5mi11er

You want one account per person, and definitely separate accounts for each. 1 person not being able to delete another's file is generally considered a feature. For shared access areas, you want to break the 35 people into semi-logical groups. Create group names, add users to those groups (users can be part of more than one group), and set permissions in those areas to allow all access (read, write, create, delete, etc) for those groups. That way a person in that group can delete files created by another in that group.

4. DustySlider

Ok. Strange thing. I'm trying to do a test setup before I acutally turn that workstation into a file server. Playing around with a couple of other workstations to test the protocol. I'm finding that with the workstation running W2K, I can access the Active Directory from the main server so as to choose who has permission to access shared folders. However, on the computer running WinXP, I can't access the Active Directory. What am I doing wrong here?

5. DustySlider

6. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Uh, not sure. To access the configuration of the Active Directory, you need Domain Admin privledges. So, if the user you're logged in as on the XP box isn't the same as the one on the 2k box, differing user permissions could explain it. Otherwise, XP sp2 has the added firewall turned on by default, that could affect things as well.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276487

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice