1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File Server????

Discussion in 'Networking' started by medic17506, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. medic17506

medic17506 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Brandon
    Here's what I've got and what I'm wanting to do...I'm looking for helpful hints or the best way to acheive what I need.

I have 3 computers...

1. My wife's desktop Windows XP Profesional PC - it's hard drive is FULL and needs to get pictures and STUFF off of it.

2. I have my work laptop - also on Windows XP Professional

3. An old Gateway Laptop that I used until the backlight on the LCD display went out. The computer works fine with an external display.

It occured to me the other day that I should make a "file server" out of it. I don't know if this is the correct terminology or not but basically hook it up to the router and use it as a network file drive and empty my wife's computer.

So, I am going to wipe out the old laptop - wondering if there is any specific recomendations on how to do this...obviously I can keep xp on there and do this but I'm looking for best way if anyone has a suggestion...I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Brandon

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

You actually have a few options -

1) Usually with laptops its as easy and putting in the system restore CD from the date you bought the pc and bam you have just the base load on it.

2) A harder method is to load another OS as they have some that are specifically geared towards being a file server. You could use something like OpenFiler or FreeNAS if your into Linux. Remember they have to have the correct drivers and items to run on your specific laptop.

3) If you want a fresh install but don't have the original restore cd but havde a standard windows disk just boot to the windows CD within the prompts of setup you should be able to delete the partition and recreate a new one this as well will get the laptop clean.

One side note you may run into problems with the work laptop may not be able to "easily" get to the served files if the laptop runs off pf a work domain and you'll have even more problems if your using VPN to get into work.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You still need a method to back up files from the laptop if that's where they're going to be stored. An old computer means an old hard drive which means a higher rate of failure. Unless the files need to be shared among several computers, a better solution might be to purchase a larger internal drive for your wife's computer and attach an external drive to it to back up to.

4. Dochoi

Dochoi

A "NAS" will solve your problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540101

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice