1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File Settings Transfers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by irishal, Feb 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. irishal

irishal Thread Starter

Hi,

I have just bought a new laptop and would like to transfer all my data and systems settings from my old laptop.

Specifically all the IE favourites and some random files.

I use Windows Xp, and i just want to know the easiest way to do this, ie not setting up a network if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

2. zeddy

zeddy

If your old laptop has usb then a pendrive would suffice for backing up and transfer of your old files/ favourites/ email contacts list etc.

If its just word files and favourites you should be able to do this via floppies, you can use a program such as diskspan to move files that are larger than 1.44mb.

3. irishal

irishal Thread Starter

whereabouts can i find the IE favourites file?

4. zeddy

zeddy

If you are using Outlook you back up your email and contacts by

launch the progrtam choose file> Import& export> export to a file and click next. choose personal file (.pst), choose your personal folders entry and check the box to include subfolders. Click browse to select file destination and choose replace duplicates with items exported click next.

Right for the question asked!:-

Its very similar, in IE explorer you go file>Import& export......and so on as above.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/200181

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice