1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File Sharing Across Vista/XP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cc64, Dec 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cc64

cc64 Thread Starter

Hello all,

Here's the short story: File are on an XP Pro machine in a shared folder. There is a Vista laptop that will stay able to share for a short while, then will go back to not being able to access.

The full story: We have a network of about 10 computers. All of the computers use XP to access a file server running XP pro in order to use our database. No problems with those machines. We just got a Vista laptop. I set up the permissions on the file server and it was good to go. Loaded up the database and was all set. The next day, no good. So I resetup the permission, and again good to go. But, a day later, no good. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks for any help,
    Curtis

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, you do realize that XP-Pro has a limit of 10 connections for file/print sharing, right? Could you be running into that limitation?

3. cc64

cc64 Thread Starter

A ha! No I was not aware of that. Would it connect and then not connect like it is? And I'm assuming Windows server addition would be the solution to this...

- Curtis

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Truthfully, I'd probably get something like a NAS, perhaps the D-Link DNS-323, it has no connection limit.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/884685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice