1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved file sharing and computer access on home network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by corolla2, Jul 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. corolla2

corolla2 Thread Starter

Hello, years ago we had a WiFi network that allowed us to access each other's computers as well as external USB hard drives attached to a central desktop. With the changes to Windows 10, we can't seem to do this anymore.

We have a TP Link Archer C6 router for the network. There are two laptops running Win 10, one desktop with Win 10, and one MacBook with MacOS Mojave. The desktop has an 8TB USB external hard drive we'd essentially like to make the network file sharing drive.

How can we set up the network to be able to look at each other's computer documents again as well as all of us having the ability to access the 8TB drive attached to the desktop?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
  3. corolla2

corolla2 Thread Starter

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    But, did you do as I stated in the last reply of the link above?

5. corolla2

corolla2 Thread Starter

The last remark in the thread referred to talks about changing sharing settings, but where? Is this under Windows in networking settings?

6. corolla2

corolla2 Thread Starter

I was able to figure this out finally after looking at the referred thread and a couple more Google searches. The computer with the attached external USB hard drives is attached to the router with an ethernet cable.

Under Network and Sharing Center I made sure the home network was private. I also turned off requiring a password to join the home network.

On computers connecting to the WiFi home network, I also went to Network and Sharing Center and clicked on the network name. Under those settings I had to change it from public to private.

Once I did these two steps, the wirelessly connecting laptops were able to connect to the desktop hard connected to the router.

Thanks for helping me.

7. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    your welcome

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice