1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File sharing and Windows Media Center extenders

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DrinkMtnDew, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrinkMtnDew

DrinkMtnDew Thread Starter

I have a Windows PC with a Xbox 360 console set up as a Windows Media Center extender. To be frank, I want to be able to access only certain folders on my PC from my Xbox 360 Windows Media Center application while others are blocked out entirely. Unfortunately, I can't seem to accomplish that.

This is my situation:

I don't have any media libraries set up. I went into Tasks > Settings on Windows Media Center on both devices and made sure of that. I did at one point, but for experimentation purposes, I removed them all. My Xbox 360 is still finding and displaying files from my PC, however. Mostly, it's everything contained in the Libraries\Pictures, Libraries\Music, and Libraries\Videos file paths (which in turn are comprised of C:\Users\My Username\My ___ file paths and C:\Users\Public\Public ___ file paths). I can prevent my Xbox 360 from displaying these files by removing my personal folder locations from the libraries, but whenever I right click on a library and choose "Properties", at the bottom, the word "Shared" is grayed out with a check mark next to it, completely unselectable and apparently in a permanent shared status.

Interestingly, whenever I plug a removable storage device into my computer (specifically my E:/ drive), my Xbox 360 is instantly able to display all media contained on it. This is odd because if I click my start menu, then click "Computer", then right click my E:\ drive and select "Properties" and open the "Sharing" tab, my device is indicated as "Not shared". My E:\ drive is not included as a location for any of my public libraries.

Furthermore, if I right click any folder, select "Properties", and go to the "Sharing" tab, the folder is indicated as "Shared" with no way to "unshare" it. I can highlight the folder in Windows Explorer and use the toolbar for "Share With > Nobody" or whatever, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. My computer is not connected to a home group or anything like that anyway; remember, my main concern is that my computer is sharing pretty much everything with my Xbox 360 even if I don't want it to.

Besides, even if I remove my personal folders from the shared libraries, I (or anyone for that matter) can go into Tasks > Settings in Windows Media Center on my Xbox 360 and include those folders as a media library to view their contents anyway.

There is another computer in the house that my Xbox 360 detects. However, if I open Windows Media Center and go into Tasks > Settings > Media Libraries, even though it is detectable and expandable, my Xbox 360 cannot obtain files from that computer because "there are no shared folders on this computer". Indeed, if I get onto that second computer and attempt to share a folder (any folder) so my Xbox 360 can obtain files from it, I get a message that plainly states, "You cannot share this folder". In addition to my Xbox 360 being completely separated from it, this also means that if my two computers are on a home group or other local network, then one of them can share virtually everything while the other cannot share anything at all.

What do I have to allow my Windows Media Center extender to find and display only permitted folders and files; and to prevent other people who use my Windows Media Extender from just adding a file path from my PC to the media library?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976142

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice