1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File Sharing between OS's on same computer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Guahan, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Guahan

Guahan Thread Starter

I'm trying to share files between my Mac OS and my Windows 7 OS. I have both OS's on my laptop and I want to make it where I can easily transfer files between each OS. I have googled this but have found only file sharing on the same network but with different computers, not dual boot. If anyone has a solution, please help me out. Thanks!

2. Soundy

Soundy

Create a separate partition and format it FAT32 so it can be accessed by both systems. Or use a FAT32-formatted external drive. Or use a cloud service like Dropbox or iCloud.

3. Guahan

Guahan Thread Starter

Isn't FAT32 on all HDs by default?

4. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

MAC's can read FAT32 without a problem. MAC's will read NTFS but cannot write to it.

5. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

6. Soundy

Soundy

ALL? No. Externals... many, but not all. Internal drives generally come unpartitioned and unformatted.

7. Guahan

Guahan Thread Starter

Is there a way where I can make the seperate hd a folder other than a HD with an OS?

8. Soundy

Soundy

An external HD won't have an OS on it. You plug it in, you format it as FAT32 (if necessary)... and it will be visible to both OSes - it will show as a drive letter in Windows (probably E:) and as a drive icon on your OSX desktop.

9. Guahan

Guahan Thread Starter

Okay. What I'm going to do right now is create a partitioned FAT32 hard drive and see what happens. I'll keep you guys posted.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's just called "FAT" in the Mac options, but it means FAT32.

You can't "partition" in FAT32. First you create the partition. Then you format the drive with a file system, like FAT, FAT32, HFS, etc.

11. Guahan

Guahan Thread Starter

Okay, so on my Mac, I used Dis Utility to create a separate partition. So now, I have 3 plus recovery= MAC HD, XFER (new one just made), and WIN7, and of course the Recovery HD that came with installing the MAC or the WIN7 I believe.

I restarted my computer, held the Option key, to the OS's/HD's and saw only the MAC HD and the Recovery. Where did the WIN7 and XFER go? I can't boot into my WIN7 now..Help!

So what I now just did was Verify the disks through Disk Utitlity. The XFER is fine, but the WIN7 says "Verify volume failed: Invalid request". Help!

I browsed the forums and some people said to repair windows by inserting the windows 7 disk and booting from there and repairing it. I tried to do that but when it tried to boot from the disk, it says "WINDOWS IS LOADING FILES". It's stuck there, been like that for like 10 mins already. Help!

12. Guahan

Guahan Thread Starter

any solutions? Deleting the HD and recreating the WIN7 is my last choice and I kind of don't want to do this if there aren't any other solutions in fixing the HD.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice