File Sharing between OS's on same computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Guahan

I'm trying to share files between my Mac OS and my Windows 7 OS. I have both OS's on my laptop and I want to make it where I can easily transfer files between each OS. I have googled this but have found only file sharing on the same network but with different computers, not dual boot. If anyone has a solution, please help me out. Thanks!

Create a separate partition and format it FAT32 so it can be accessed by both systems. Or use a FAT32-formatted external drive. Or use a cloud service like Dropbox or iCloud.

Guahan

Is there a way where I can make the seperate hd a folder other than a HD with an OS?

An external HD won't have an OS on it. You plug it in, you format it as FAT32 (if necessary)... and it will be visible to both OSes - it will show as a drive letter in Windows (probably E:) and as a drive icon on your OSX desktop.

Guahan

Okay. What I'm going to do right now is create a partitioned FAT32 hard drive and see what happens. I'll keep you guys posted.

It's just called "FAT" in the Mac options, but it means FAT32.

You can't "partition" in FAT32. First you create the partition. Then you format the drive with a file system, like FAT, FAT32, HFS, etc.

Guahan

Okay, so on my Mac, I used Dis Utility to create a separate partition. So now, I have 3 plus recovery= MAC HD, XFER (new one just made), and WIN7, and of course the Recovery HD that came with installing the MAC or the WIN7 I believe.

I restarted my computer, held the Option key, to the OS's/HD's and saw only the MAC HD and the Recovery. Where did the WIN7 and XFER go? I can't boot into my WIN7 now..Help!

So what I now just did was Verify the disks through Disk Utitlity. The XFER is fine, but the WIN7 says "Verify volume failed: Invalid request". Help!

I browsed the forums and some people said to repair windows by inserting the windows 7 disk and booting from there and repairing it. I tried to do that but when it tried to boot from the disk, it says "WINDOWS IS LOADING FILES". It's stuck there, been like that for like 10 mins already. Help!

Guahan

any solutions? Deleting the HD and recreating the WIN7 is my last choice and I kind of don't want to do this if there aren't any other solutions in fixing the HD.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online