1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File sharing between W7 and XP. Log-in credentials are not accepted

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Riverglen, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    I have a relative that has a network that contains a Win-7 machine and an XP machine and I was trying to show her how to share files between them. When trying to map a drive on the XP machine for access from the Win-7 box, I am presented with a log-in dialog. When I enter the appropriate user name and password, the log-in is refused. User name and passwords that are assigned to the respective machines are identical. And the XP folder I am trying to map has been designated as a network share.

So, why is my log-in from the Win-7 box being refused? I must be missing something pretty basic here.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm a bit confused. Are you trying to "Map network drive..." on the Windows 7 machine? And the target is on the XP machine? Is the target a drive or just a folder?

Is the XP Pro or Home? If Pro are you using Simple File Sharing?

3. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Thanks for your interest. I guess I was a little sloppy in describing my problem.

When working from the Win-7 box I'm attempting to map a share that resides on the XP machine. I initiate the process by selecting "Map Network Drive..." from the right click context menu, available from either the Network Neighborhood or My Computer Icon. That opens a dialog that allows you to assign the drive letter that will be used for the mapped "drive" and the folder on the remote machine that you wish to map to the drive letter.

So far, so good. But on selecting "Finish" I'm presented with a log-in dialog that expects a user name and password. It has been my (fuzzy) understanding that the target machine (the XP box in this case) needs to have an account that matches the account on the accessing machine (the Win-7) box. As it happens, both machines use the same username and log on password, to this condition seems to have been met. But nevertheless, the log-in is rejected.

So, really several questions:

Why isn't the log-in accepted?

I have a network of my own that includes two XP machines and an old Win 98 clunker, and I have no dififuculty mapping shares among them, and despite the fact that all of the machines individually require log-in with a password, I never even get asked for one when I am mapping shared resources. Why not? Or equivalently, why does the XP - Win-7 set-up require this?

Finally, in a Windows Secrets article I saved, the statement was made that if you want to do file sharing between a Win-7 box and an XP machine, you can't use 128 bit encryption. I'm guessing that maybe he Win-7 machine is set up for 128 bits? Doesn't seem like that would cause the kind of problem I'm seeing.

I don't have ready hands-on access to the machines in question (other side of town) so it may take me a while to be able to try any suggestions you may have to offer.

4. Rockn

Rockn

What security do you have set up on the share in question? There is a difference between share security and file system security.

5. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    I don't really understand your question. I have never messed with any sort of security settings in my own network, and it is VERY unlikely that the owner has ever messed with any settings of this kind. The owner is a very novice computer user. And I have never messed around with any sort of group policy settings.

Two other possible relevant factors. All off the machines in question are using wired connections. And, aside from the XP machine, there is another Win-7 box on the network. I have no trouble establishing connections between the two Win-7 boxes, but I think that when I fiddled with this problem several months ago that I had the same problem regardless of which Win-7 machine I tried to establish connections from.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know why you even get the prompt for account/password. I tested what you described and had no problem. My XP is Professional, but I am using Simple File Sharing (SFS).

If your XP is Home, or XP Pro using SFS, is the folder one that can really be shared, or one that is restricted (e.g., My Documents)? What is the complete path/name of the folder?

If you are using XP Pro with Advanced File Sharing then Rockn's question may be in play.

7. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Yeah, the $64 question is definitely why do I even get asked for log-in credentials? Never had to deal with that in my all XP network.

After my last post I took a look at the properties dialog for a folder on one of my own machines and sure enough there is a Security tab with a lot of obscure (to me anyway) choices. Don't believe I've ever meddled with any of them, and for sure they haven't been touched by the owner of the problematical set-up.

Now that you've mentioned it, I have played around with SFS vs whatever the alternative is (in MY network). Was trying to work around all of Microsoft's "Mother may I's" that infuriatingly impose the restrictions you alluded to. In my network, one machine is XP Pro and the other XP Home, and the restrictions are unsymetrical. A puzzle for another day. But the XP machine is the relative's network is XP home, and win-7 boxes are home-premium. Does that make the SFS question moot?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yeah, XP Home only has SFS. You should never get a login prompt from XP Home because file sharing is done only by anonymous and the network guest login. Some of these errors can be fixed, and some (like the one that originally brought me to this forum) don't seem to have any fix other than a reinstall of XP.

Do this on the XP; been a long time since I posted ...

(from a JohnWill post)

Create a file in notepad named FIXANON.REG with the following contents:

You should have 3 boxes on the bottom in NOTEPAD.
    1)Filename : FIXANON.REG
    2)Save as type: all files
    3)Encoding: ANSI
    If you do not change it from txt type to All files type, then the file will actually be FIXANON.REG.txt, this won't accomplish the desired result.

------------------- Use ONLY the text after this line in the FIXANON.REG file -------------------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
    "restrictanonymous"=dword:00000000
    ------------------- Use ONLY the text before this line in the FIXANON.REG file-----------------

Double click on the file and say Yes to the merge into registry question.

Reboot the computer.

9. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    TerryNet,

Many thanx for the suggestion. I will give it a try when I can get my hands on the XP machine. I have a really hard time getting the owner to stop using it in her business long enough for me to try anything. She's the worst workaholic I ever have seen. Will let you know how it works out.

10. dpl

dpl

enable guess account to both pc without password

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026790

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice