1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File Sharing between Windows 7 and Vista

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fabnt, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fabnt

fabnt Thread Starter

Hello! I am new to this forum...so I'm not used to your rules and all..I had a quick look over the posting rules before making this thread...so if i've broken any basic rules then i'm sorry as it wasn't my intention.

So anyway. I live at home with my parents and my little brother. We have three desktops...2 Macs and a windows vista...my brother has a windows vista laptop, my mum has a Macbook laptop and for Christmas I got a windows 7 laptop!

But that's not all that relevant because all I am really interested in is setting up file sharing between my old vista desktop and my new windows 7 laptop, so I can transfer my music, etc across. (I know that I could easily do this by other methods but I want filesharing set up for the future).

Both computers are wirelessly connected to a Netgear router.

Initially i tried fiddling around with various network settings and I've managed to get the two computers to recognise each other...and they can access the 'public' folder. I tried fiddling with advanced sharing to let them access other folders which appear as shared folders, but when i tried to access them from the other computer i was denied access.

I want to be able to completely read and write all files in the C drive of each computer from the other.

Can someone give me a step by step guide on what you would do to be able to access all files on one computer from the other? (as though i hadn't set up any sharing at all and am only beginning).

Sorry for asking such a novice question but windows generally confuses me.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973233

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice