1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File Sharing Help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by flashovertx, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flashovertx

flashovertx Thread Starter

After searching for some assistance on here, i havent found anything that has worked. Here is my dilemma:

I have a desktop running XP Pro that is connected to a Actiontec MI424WR router via cat 5. Internet Connection works fine. DNS 192.168.1.5. File sharing is turned on

I also have a Dell INspiron laptop running XP Media Center that connects to the router wirelessly. I am able to connect to the internet perfectly. DNS 192.168.1.2 - File Sharing is turned on.

I cannot setup a connection between the two computers at all. When I attempt to plug in a cable from laptop to router there shows no connection in My Network Places. Same thing on the desktop. Both setups show MSHOME as the workgroup and both obtain IP addresses automatically. I attempt to use Network setup Wizard on the desktop, but when choosing "this computer connects directly to the internet. Other computer connect directly to the internet through this computer" it tells me CANNOT COMPLETE NETWORK SETUP WIZARD...

Im at a loss....if anyone has any suggestions, please...
    I am ultimately wanting to setup a network where the desktop will be the main connection and all other computers in the hosue will connect wirelessly and can share files.

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Why do the computers have different DNS IP addresses?

Can you post all the IP information from both computers?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Other computer connect directly to the internet through this computer"

You have a router. Don't use ICS. Just connect both computers to your router.

Like Bob, I don't understand either of those DNS addresses, nor why they are different.

4. flashovertx

Thanks for the suggestions and Ive connnected both to the router and still they dont see each other. <?> Below are the text files from ipconfig/all on both computers

LAPTOP:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LAPTOP

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

home

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-22-F2-0C-33

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 15, 2007 4:18:03 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 16, 2007 4:18:03 PM

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-02-1F-59-45

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 15, 2007 4:18:04 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 16, 2007 4:18:04 PM

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Personal Area Network from TOSHIBA

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-41-4B-1E-F0

DESKTOP:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : main

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-2C-02-97-F5

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 15, 2007 6:58:51 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 16, 2007 6:58:51 PM

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

They all have the same DNS entry - 192.168.1.1

Where were you getting "DNS 192.168.1.5" and "DNS 192.168.1.2" from the first post?

6. flashovertx

sorry guess i was looking at the individual IP address

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The basics for troubleshooting are:

1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x). (This looks ok)

2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses. (this looks ok as well)

3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, just for testing, make sure you turn off XP's as well as any other firewall.

4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.

5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

8. More details about how to network XP can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting usually works. If browsing is a problem, you might set it to Enabled. But do not Disable it.

8. flashovertx

Ok, I have checked all firewalls are off. I attempt to ping the LAPTOP using both name and IP and get no packet received and a timed out error.
    I ping the desktop and receive all fine. I attempt to ping from the admin panel on router and get the same results.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What software firewalls do you have?

10. flashovertx

I have no software firewalls that I know of at all.

I tried to ping from the laptop to the desktop and did recieve a response and packets received but am still unable to ping from desktop to laptop.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The laptop almost definitely has a firewall blocking access--probably Norton (Symantic) but maybe McAfee and possibly something else. Remember that the free trial Security Suite that Dell installed along with a dozen other undesirable application includes a firewall.

12. flashovertx

ok, I will search again more thoroughly. thanks

13. mischievousbimbo

mischievousbimbo

May I just ask on this thread....When I got my laptop there was anti-virus icon from Norton on the desktop and also in the program list. I think it was maybe to intice me to buy
    it. I was already with McAfee which was due to run out on my desktop but have read there was a lot of people against Norton. So anyway, I go to uninstall it but it wasn't there in the add/remove list so I deleted the icon from the desktop, deleted it from the start menu too thinking everything is gone but the other day I noticed there is a Norton file in my program/settings (I think it's called) and there is lots of files there....at the moment, they have not caused any problem but after reading your post I'm wondering how I can remove the lot from my computer as like I said it is not in the add/remove list.

Regards
    Mischievous

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Mischievous, if you got your laptop 3+ years ago it may have had Norton Anti-Virus, but more recently we've been blessed with a security suite. Look again in Add/Remove Programs for words like Symantic, Norton and Security Suite.

A lot of times what's in the All Programs menu is a folder containing, among other things, an uninstall utility. Look there even before looking in Add/Remove Programs.

Lasly, I think Symantic has an uninstall program and/or instructions on their web site to help you get rid of their product completley.

15. mischievousbimbo

mischievousbimbo

Nooooo I only got the Laptop for Christmas ::D I'ts the Desktop I've had for over 3years (and I'm still just getting used to it) but anyway, at the list when you click the start and it gives you all your programs, this Norton was there but when I right clicked there was no uninstall option like on some programs so I checked in add and remove and it wasn't there and now I see a folder with lots of files is on this disc. I have saw on this site a removal tool for Symantic I will have a look there.

Regards
    Mischievous

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544396

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice