1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File sharing on home network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DrP, Oct 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DrP

DrP Thread Starter

Hi, I have set up a wireless internet on three computers at home. This works fine. How do I sort out file sharing between them? I have run the home network setup wizard on XP (all computers) and nothing is there in My Network Places.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Assuming you put all computers into the same workgroup and enabled file and printer sharing ...

The Shared Documents folder will be shared automatically. For any other folder you want to share, right click on it and choose 'sharing ...'. You can optionally give write permission.

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes; even hours) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers, and a few computer restarts.

If your workgroup doesn't begin to work soon, or you get some error messages, we can start troubleshooting.

3. DrP

DrP Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for that. I've got computer1 showing all three, computer2 showing none, and computer3 showing itself. I'll do what you say and leave it a few hours.
    Thanks,

4. DrP

DrP Thread Starter

Solved!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/403896

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice