1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File sharing on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by texdwu, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. texdwu

texdwu Thread Starter

I got 2 PCs (A & B) both running Windows 7 ultimate networked through an ADSL2+ router. On PC A, I have a folder X. On PC B, I got two user accounts: 1 and 2. I wanted to share folder X on PC A with PC B user 1 but not user 2. How do I implement it?? Thanks a lot for your great help!

I have tried to set up a share of X, however, Both user 1 and 2 on PC B will have access to it. I can not differentiate them.

2. omuyelijah

omuyelijah

Hi,

To connect to systems on win 7 to share folders, they need to belong to thesame home group.
    What you do is enter Control Panel > Network. Click the HomeGroup Link. Tick the libraries to share. Follow on and click Apply. It will generate a homegroup password. copy this password to use on the second system.

Now on the 2nd system, go to Control Panel > Network. It should have detected the created home group. follow it up until it gets to the area where u put the password from the first system. enter it and apply. This should be ok.

Finally, on the 1st pc, copy the folder u want to share to the document library that has been shared so u get to access it from the second system from network icon.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You don't have to use homegroups, and to restrict file sharing to only certain user(s) I think you probably do not want to use homegroups.

On PC A use password protected sharing and give your password to user 1 but not to user 2. Better is ...

On PC A create an account for user 1 (if it doesn't already exist) then assign the desired permissions for folder X to user 1, but not to everyone.

4. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    You can also copy the files you wish to share over to the "Public folder" You will find, I hope, that is all that is required. No libraries etc.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice