1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File Sharing Problems on different OS's

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cistec, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cistec

cistec Thread Starter

Hi

I am the admin on all machines

I am using XP, Vista and Win 7 on my home network and have set up a WORKGROUP network, it all works and I can see each machine on my seperate Machines ..But I have a problem with sharing files

Every time I go to get a file from any machine a User account dialog box pops up requests a user name and pass word??? How can I remove this problem from all machines please? do I need to setup account on all machines allowing access to each other or is there a simpler way? If I need to set up unrestricted accounts how do I do it?

Funny thing is I can get some files from one machines then it may request a Username & password??? strange

any help from any Guru would be very much appreciated indeed.

cistec

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Since you have multi OS's here, make sure that ALL machines have a account that have the SAME user name and REAL password. Both Vista and Windows 7 "Love" to have this same account and password setting, and these accounts do not need to logged into at the time, just be set up on the machines. I use a admin account that I can also use for a back door, in case the prime account gets clobbered.

Also, are any of these files you are trying to access, are they in any of the User "My Documents' or "Documents" folders?
    If they were not shared at the time of the account being made, then they are not accessible, even from another account on the same machine.

3. cistec

cistec Thread Starter

Thanks I think thats got it !! just got to get used to putting files into specific sharing folders. If I get stuck I will pick your brains again if you dont mind!

Thanks again

cistec

4. antech

antech Banned

If the problem is solved,Then please mark them as solved
    If not then please continue this thread.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916802

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice