1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File sharing the root of the drive on Vista computers

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by vandy013, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vandy013

vandy013 Thread Starter

I have two Windows Vista computers both connected through a wireless router and I have been trying to share the root of the C: drive on both of them. After doing some research, I found out that I needed to make a registry change to enable this, and now it works for one of the computers but not the other. The one it works on has a login name and password, the other one simply logs in without a password. So I am guessing that the problem is that there is no name and password to enter to login to this computer via sharing, but there has to be some way around this doesn't there? Does anyone know how I can share the root of the drive while not having a password on the administrator account?

2. techy689

techy689

Yes... go to control panel > select network and internet > network and sharing center

then go through the list and make adjustments ON BOTH computer:

Turn password protected sharing off

turn network discover on

turn file sharing on

...etc.

3. vandy013

vandy013 Thread Starter

I have already:
    Enabled: Network Discovery, Files Sharing, Public Folder Sharing, Printer Sharing.
    Disabled: Password protected sharing, Media sharing.
    -These settings are the same on both computers.

In addition, I have gone into the sharing tab for the C: drive and set full permissions for everyone.

And it still gives me the message saying that you may not have rights or whatever. I have tried it both with password protected sharing on and off. Like I said before, That is why I have concluded that it must be because the one computer does not have a password for the administrator account.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What version of Vista.

Do you have the same user account and password set up on each computer?

And what happens if you add a password to the account that doesn't have one?

5. vandy013

vandy013 Thread Starter

It is Vista Home Premium on both PCs.

There is only one account on each computer and they are different.

I added a password to the computer that did not have one and now both computers can access the root of each others C: drive. Does this mean though that it is not possible to share the root of your drive from a computer that does not have a password on it? For convience sake I would like to go without a password, but it seems that this is the only way to make it work. Any ideas?

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Glad that suggestion worked. I don't have home premium to work with right now but may have time to load it in the next day or so. But for now, it looks like the problem is solved.

7. gokulsweetlal

gokulsweetlal

There are two user accounts , the one is the default administrator and the other is the normal administrator. If you have not created another one normal administrator, create an administrartor without password and try to share the root drive using that new account.

8. vandy013

vandy013 Thread Starter

If anyone is interested, you have to edit the registry to allow root level sharing. This is what you have to do:

To access the administrative shares of a Vista computer from another computer, you will need to change a registry setting. You will need to change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\system\LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy to 1 (DWORD).

To do this:

- Click start
    - Type: Regedit
    - Press Enter
    - Browse to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\system\
    - Right-click a white area in the right pane
    - Click New
    - Click Dword Value
    - Type: LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy
    - Press Enter
    - Double-click LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy
    - Type: 1
    - Press enter
    - Restart your computer

You should now be able to connect to the remote administrative shares on
    your vista computer by authenticating with an account that is an
    administrator.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What about to access creating a new share rather than the administrative shares?

10. vandy013

vandy013 Thread Starter

That's what I ended up doing to make it work, but only with a password, not without.

11. lalinka

lalinka

I see that you solved the problem, so how about networking a computer using Vista home premium with computer using Win XP?? My Vista can see any xp files that I want to share but my XP cant see any vista files.. Can you help solve that??
    ICQ 3-116-278. Thanks

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

This is the second time you posted the question on someone else's thread

Would probably be better just to start your own.

13. vandy013

vandy013 Thread Starter

14. teknomedic

teknomedic

Another way that may work to share root (worked for me.. after above methods failed)

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/vista/1008-how-share-root-drive-under-vista.html#post8208

for lalinka below... if you're talking about this post...
    I thought I was stuck too... but if you follow just the "Red Boxes"... and ignore his system setup.... you add the "Everyone" option in the very last step. He has "everyone" selected because his was already setup.

15. lalinka

lalinka

Tried to follow the instructions in the site you sent, but I dont have the EVERYONE option like the site shows so I cant continue with the process.
    (See attached photo).
    After long hours of trying to solve this problem, I did it, and here are my notes about 2 ways to share in Vista which worked for me...

1) Using the Public folder
    Drag and drop any folder into PUBLIC folder.
    It will be copied there and will show in Public on the other computer.
    However this works fine for small files, for large folders like my MUSIC it will take a long to copy into public and will take room on the other computers.
    2) Sharing as shortcut
    - Make sure that in Ctrl Panel/Administrative Tools/Services/Security Accounts Manager & Security Centre it says Startup- “Automatic” and in Service - “Started”
    -Go to Ctrl Panel/Users and activate the Guest account.
    - Right click on a folder, choose Share, In Sharing tab, go to Advanced Sharing/Share This Folder.
    Click on Permissions/Add and in Enter The Object type, Guest & OK.
    Highlight Guest and check, Allow full control & OK.
    - In Security tab, make sure it shows in Group names, Guest("my name"/Guest).
    Highlight it and make sure all the permissions are checked so it shows FULL CONTROL & CLOSE
    Thanks

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/553083

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice