1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File Sharing to selected PC's

Discussion in 'Networking' started by babel1900, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. babel1900

babel1900 Thread Starter

I have 9 computers in total (all are using XP Pro), 1 of which is being used as the main computer where all my files are stored- the other 8 PC's connect to this 1 computer using a workgroup system to share files.

What i would now like to do though is share another set of additional folders with 3 of the 8 computers, so 3 can access these folders while the other 5 cannot. (While still sharing the previous folders that im already sharing).

So 2 different folders, 1 being shared with all 8 computers. Another folder being shared with only 3 computers.

Ive been googling how to do this but i thought it may be best to ask on here and see if someone could guide me better into performing this. Any help would be appreciated.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Windows file shares are based on user accounts. So, for the folders to be shared with specific people, just remove the Everybody from the permissions and only share them with specific user accounts. All of the workstations should have unique name/password logins, and the main computer should have a matching user account for each of the connecting workstations.

3. babel1900

babel1900 Thread Starter

ok so in the permissions tab i should put the username of the person that i want to access the file, should i leave anything else in there?

And what about the security tab, what should be in there?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Make sure Simple Sharing is NOT enabled.

Right click on the shared folder and select the Security tab.

Remove Everyone and add the specific users that you wish to grant access.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/951058