1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File Sharing - usernames and passwords

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Trentham, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trentham

Trentham Thread Starter

I'm got a setup using XPpro and advanced file sharing is in effect.

Machine 'A' has a folder which needs to be accessible from Machine 'B' but not from any of the other machines on the network.

OK, no problem so far; simply add the specified user on Machine 'B' to the ACL as the only entry.

However, now the problem arises.

The machine A user is Administrator ... and so is Machine B, but they have different passwords.

Machine B needs to be able to access the folder unattended (it's going to perform various maintenance tasks on it).

Changing the username on Machine A is not a sensible option. Equally, changing the user name on machine B is undesirable.

It seems that B can't get at the share because, although the username is permitted, the password is wrong on A. Is there any easy way round this? Is there any way to access a share as a different user?

Foillwing on from this, can share permissions only be allocated at a user level or can the ACL be set to allow (for example) all administrators to access the share? I suppose it boils down to, does the access mechanism for B to get at A pass the group as well as the username and password?

2. sjupr

sjupr Banned

3. Trentham

Trentham Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I've already been through that stuff but it did no harm to study it again to see if I'd missed anything.

One question which has arisen is that concerning locations (when adding a new user or group). I've only ever found the local computer in that box and no ability to type anything else. What is required to cause other computers to be accessible?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice