1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File sharing with XP corp and win2k pro

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sonik, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sonik

sonik Thread Starter

I have a xp corp machine that needs to access some files on a machine with win2k pro. win2k machine ip is 10.0.0.1/24 and the xp machine is 10.0.0.2/24 and they are hooked with a crossover. I shared the folder that i needed access to and ran the wizard on xp, they are both in the same workgroup and at first everything worked fine but it would timeout after a couple minutes. Now I cannot even see the share. I have enabled netbios over tcp and I can ping the other machine. Am I missing something? Please help. thanks

2. sonik

sonik Thread Starter

I did some searches and some threads indicate I need netbeui (sp?)on all the machines? i have it set for netbios over tcp/ip so do i still need to enable netbui, what about lmhosts, wont it use broadcasts?

update: I added my username and pass to each computer but still no go with just clicking my network places. If i go to start and run then type \\servername i get prompted for username and pass which i enter and it works now? how do i get it so i can just double click my network places and see all the pcs?

3. dai

dai

i would have thought xp & 2000 would be the same if you have xp and 98 or me you need the netbui.
    install netbui on the machines and see if it fixes the problem
    did you install the network on xp first and 2000 second

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

NETBEUI solves many workgroup browsing issues, and there's really no downside to using it for this application. I'd install it and see if you get out of the woods.

5. sonik

sonik Thread Starter

i introduced them all at once..its strange because at first everything worked fine..i could click network places and see the machines and get to the shares..then it just stopped. Ill test out netbeui..anyone know how to change the mtu on winxp besides using dr tcp?

6. dai

dai

you will probably have to reinstall the network again
    i use a program called tc optimiser i got it from
    www.speedguide.net

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I can't imagine the MTU size having any effect on your LAN operation, I doubt that's the issue.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!