1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File Sharing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dheit22, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dheit22

dheit22 Thread Starter

I apologize if this question has been raised and answered many times over but I can't seem to find the answer when searching. The answer I am sure is simple.

Here goes.

I have 3 computers in an office. Windows XP and two Windows 7's. I want everyone to access a folder that is on Windows 7 computer #1. The XP can see the folder on Windows 7 #1 and vice versa however Windows 7 #1 can see the shared folder of Windows 7 computer #2 but cannot access despite putting in the correct user name of Windows 7 #2 (there is no password). It is my understanding that user name is the computer name. Is that wrong? Is a password required on Windows 7 #2 to allow this to work? Or is just all the other advanced sharing craziness that is in Windows 7? Please help!

I assume that this doesn't have to do with the sharing or permissions of the folder as the XP computer sees it no problem.

Thanks so much in advance!!!

2. MScott821

MScott821

User name and computer name are NOT the same.

You should look at the share settings and permissions on the machine which is doing the sharing...

A password may be required if one was set for the user name on the "server" PC...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice