1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File sharing

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by remaja, Jul 11, 2006.

Advertisement
  1. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

this question has been on my mind for so many years.

File sharing is illegal right?

if it is why is there stiil bit torent and kazaa. aren't they suppose to be cought already?

I'm all confused

what about other countries since Kazaa and bit torent can be international can't other countries catch them to?

2. linskyjack

linskyjack

Although they are used primarily for stealing copyrighted material, bit torrent and kaza can be used in legal ways---for the legitimate sharing of files.

3. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

I know Kazaa used to at least always tell you who is new in the music world, and who wanted you to download their music for free to get some exposure.

The arguement has been that P2P isn't for stealing and distributing music, but because of the way files are handed out and downloaded there is no way to stop illegal file sharing.

4. Hulk701

Hulk701 Banned

We all know that file sharing of copywrited material is illegal. However it would be interesting to post a poll of how many of us (honest computer users) have used these services to get copywrited music, movies or software....:eek:

Just a thought:D

5. saltydawgs

saltydawgs Account Closed

kazaa has been shut down (its not free anymore, i believe)

but limewire in the terms of service they state " do not download files illegally"
    LOL, it keeps them outta trouble, but the users completly ignore the rules there

and BTW, i have used mp3shits.com
    its hosted in Iran, and they have no copyright laws there....lol!

6. saltydawgs

saltydawgs Account Closed

i wouldnt poll, cuz then the FBI would raid the forums and kill us all

7. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Kazaa was not shut down and Iran does have copyright law.

8. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

Also, as I've stated before, Torrenting has become a popular file distribution technique in the gaming world - from the producers' standpoint, not in illegal distribution.

Peer-to-peer distribution isn't in and of itself illegal. It's what you do with it.

9. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

All in all, I think we just need to remember all we do here at TSG is talk about P2P. We don't support it because of the fact that too many people use it illegally.

10. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

What about people who play World of Warcraft? That game uses P2P file distribution for its patches. Does that make us in violation of ToS?

11. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Last I heard...

I don't play WoW, and thats Mike Call, and the actual question I guess.

How does WoW work it BT downloads?

12. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

The patches are distributed using a torrent, with a main seed coming from their own servers, and the file being distributed peer to peer to ease download server loads.

13. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Does BT come with WoW, is it another download?

Is BT just the plain Jane BT, or a special version?

14. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

See, that's the thing. BitTorrent itself is just a client. It's not a necesary component for anything - that's like blaming mIRC for illegal copyrighted materials being traded on DalNET.

In the case of WoW, it is, in fact, Blizzard's own torrent downloader. But the technology is torrented technology.

15. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Can that be used to download the new Superman movie?

Thats the fear.

If Blizzard wrote the program only for "its" torrents, thats one thing.

BT in general is still a different beast if the above is true.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482215

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice