File Sharing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lucky5tar

Trying to share files on a home network. This has worked fine but for some reason stopped working today.

I created a share on one PC, and on my laptop when I access it, it asks for a username and password. I never understood why as under the advanced settings I said everyone can do everything. Anyway I usually entered my home username ( chris-home\chris) and password, but now when I do this it says the username or password is incorrect.

Why do I even need a username and password in the first place, and how can I get it to work?

I can't enter chris-laptop\chris as a user in the permissions window because it can't see chris-laptop as an object.

I want to be able to access LAN computers without having to type a username and password.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Turn on simple sharing, it will eliminate the password prompt.

If you still want to control permissions, you can create a user account with the same name/password as is used by the laptop to login to Windows, that will also eliminate the password prompt.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online