1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

file size in relation to download speed

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by JulieAsking, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JulieAsking

JulieAsking Thread Starter

I need to create a map in PDF format and make a link to it on the website.

I also want to offer a javascript pop up window, say 350 x 350 pixels , of a smaller version of the same map.

My question is what would be the recommended maximum file size for the PDF map and the pop up window map in terms of download speed for users? For example, my present file for the pop up is 49KB and I'm not sure how long that would take to appear to users.

Thanks for any advice.

Julie

2. punjabian263

punjabian263

Dear JulieAsking, download time and appearing time dependes upon two things.

1-your file size. (maximum your file size, more time it will take to download and for appearance)

2-connection speed of the user. (on which speed your user is connected to the internet).

3. lavazza

lavazza

I try to keep the file size of my images under 30kB and often find that significant 'savings' in file-size can be made simply be using the 'right' format (JPEGs, GIFs or PNGs) and I use IrfanView to reduce the 'compression levels' to the 'minimum-that-looks-ok-on-screen'

If a popup has to be >40kB or so, a 'warning' in the 'text' will be appreciated by those on slow connections

And if a link goes to anything really big, maybe a javascript confirm prompt (OK/Cancel)

Why a PDF? Ease of printing for technophobes?

4. namenotfound

namenotfound

PDF files used to crash my old computer, then I got a new one and now there is no problem :p

But you might want to consider that, that older computers might not be able to handle a PDF.

5. JulieAsking

Thanks for those answers. Because you have raised a possible issue with PDF files I was wondering if it might be easier to put the map on an html page for visitors to look at and, if they want to print it, do so as a web page. Does this sound more feasible?

Julie
    PS I found this link interesting in that it will calculate the approximate download speed of a file according to its size.

http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/calculate/downloadcalculator.shtml

6. lavazza

lavazza

<zenMoment>Everything is feasible</zenMoment>

However... everything would - by definition - take forever... so...

I think it would make sense by starting with the idea that you want/need to accommodate the range of abilities and expectations in your audience

One v user-friendly option is to create a media="print" stylesheet that will spit out A4 (or 'legal' or whatever) size page/s

You can simply provide direct links e.g. <a href="http://images.techguy.org/tsg/misc/logo.gif">logo.gif ~ 18.5 kB</a> to the image files on your server and, for visitors who are web-wise, it ain't rocket science to save a copy

7. JulieAsking

lavazza, thanks for the advice. I have opted for the second choice as I would prefer they only print the image and not the whole page.

I was using javascript but it seems to only have a print function to print the whole window. I assume the media="print" route would apply to the whole page to?

Julie

8. namenotfound

namenotfound

By making a stylesheet specific to printing, you can choose to have certain elements removed from being printed.

For example, if you try to print this page you'll notice that some of the colors as well as the nav at the top and side have been removed from being printed. (also if you go to that page, it will show examples of how to do it)

9. lavazza

lavazza

To experiment/test what does/does not print, I can recommend
    www.cutepdf.com CutePDF Writer

It is a 'virtual' printer, ideal for testing media="print" 'output'

Instead of churning out dozens of paper test prints that end up in the waste-paper basket, you create dozens of PDFs, and all the bits and pixles can be recycled :)

Plus, if/when you're finally happy with the output, you have a PDF copy too, usually quite small kB wise
    :)

edited for typo

10. namenotfound

namenotfound

Couldn't you just as easily do a "print preview" in your browser :rolleyes:

I don't think that 'virtual' printer is really needed to test media="print" :D

11. lavazza

lavazza

Ermmm... yes... in fact a 'print preview' is even quicker... but it ain't as accurate

Fairy nuff

In contrast, not only do I think, but I also know... from experience :p

Try it yourself: use two or more browsers with exactly the same URI loaded and you'll soon see that 'print preview' is more of a bug than a feature when it comes to accurately predicting what the actual output will be

12. namenotfound

namenotfound

Well it seems to ALWAYS give me exactly what I print out :D

Not sure about IE, but I know in Firefox and Opera (especially Firefox), the "print preview" ALWAYS displays what will actually print out when I go to print out a page.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590822

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice