File Swapping

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

KrzyPrk

Hi,

On one of the computers here is using Photoshop, Quarkexpress, and others like it. Sometimes, I get messages that it's low on resources. It has 256MB DDR RAM running WinME.

I know how to swap files by Right clicking on MY COMPUTER, then PROPERTY, VIRTUAL MEMORY then select "Let me specify my own virtual memory settings."

The question is, how much should I make the Minimum and Maximum?

Oh, I have enough harddrive space so that wont be an issue.
Thanks in advanced

The swap file has nothing to do with resources. Photoshop uses its own scratch disc and doesn’t even use the swap file.

It is probably best to just let Windows manage your swap file, but if you want to mess with it do not set a maximum. A minimum swap file setting holds the space. It isn’t worthwhile doing even that unless you are going to defrag a space for it.

Resources can be a hassle. Easy things first:

Update your software that is usually running when you have the problem. They often rewrite the code to improve use of resources.

Start>Run and type in msconfig (enter). Go to the Startup tab and uncheck anything you don’t need running all the time. Leave Scan Registry, System Tray, your AV and firewall. If you use the automatic powerdown feature leave Load Power Profile (2). Most of the stuff will start when called on and doesn’t need to initiate at boot. Go back and just add the stuff you find you need. Some HP scanners won’t work without Still Image Monitor checked.

Load the Windows resource meter and also drag it into the Start-up folder. You will find it under Start>Programs>Accessories>System tools. If it isn’t there go to Add/remove programs in Control panel and run Windows setup to load it. It gives you a little bar graph in the tray, but if you hold the cursor over it you will get an accurate digital readout. Try to figure out what is hogging the resources. If a software update doesn’t fix it consider replacing the program.

Read this: http://www.infinisource.com/techfiles/win-resources.html

KrzyPrk

Hi,

thanks for replying. I think I've made a mistake w/ memory and resources. I'm not sure now but I think it was low on memory. I'll have to wait for that message to appear again. It's not common to have that message. As for MSCONFIG, I have unchecked the unwanted programs before.

With the file swapping, I would like to just test it out and see what happens. I havent set it up yet because I'm not sure what settings to start w/. I was hoping someone can get me started here.

If this doesnt work out, I'll just consider of getting another stick of RAM.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online