1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

file system and infective computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zergpc208, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

I have 2 hard questions if I have a computer that is very infective that is to slow to do scan or cannot start windows.Can you take that hard-drive to other computer and hook it up has slave and have other hard-drive with OS on it like master do scan to try to remove the infection:eek:

Also I I have computer that uses file system NTFS can I take it to other computer that has FAT16 or FAT 32 or it will not read it?

Like that say I have Windows XP and use NTFS and save file using Office 2000 can I take to Windows 95 or Windows 98 using file system FAT16 or FAT 32 .

2. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

Always keep in mind that some OS-es don't handle some partition types.
    Windows 98 only works with FAT (FAT or FAT32), Win NT only works with NTFS.
    Win 2000 and Win XP recognize booth.

So, to the 1st question - if the 2nd PC's OS recognizes the hard disk's filesystem, you can scan it for infections. Make sure you hook up the infected drive as secondary one, and if possible, standalone master.

As to the 2nd question:
    Data exchange between computers depends on filesystem. You must make sure that both source and destination computer recognize the filesystem of the data storage media you are using for trasport.
    So. If you're using any storage media with FAT (floppy, pendrive, FAT formatted hard disk), you can transport your data in any direction between Win XP and Win 98.

If you're using any storage media with NTFS (usually only a hard disk has such filesystem), you can't transport your data between Win XP and Win 98, because Win 98 doesn't recognize NTFS. Unless, of course, if you teach your Win 98 to recognize NTFS, by some clever software. I think SysInternals has something like that.
    http://www.sysinternals.com/

3. onsite

onsite

FAT can not read NTFS partitions
    you can do some level of disenfecting by connecting the HD to another PC. You also run the risk of infecting the other pc. I hope you do not have WINFIXER, it is bad, really bad.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, it's the version of Windows that determines filesystem compatibility. 2K and XP will read NTFS or FAT volumes, 98/ME will only read the FAT volumes.

5. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

So Windows 95/98 and ME is FAT16 amd FAT32.

Well Windows 2000/XP is NTFS and FAT.Well NT is NTFS only.

So if I swap my hard-drive that is in NTFS into Windows 95/98 and ME it will not work .But a if I swap my hard-drive FAT to Windows 2000/XP it will work.

Ya so if its worm or virus it can spread to other drives or network.But if its trojan or other malware it cannot.

Because I know some virus can damage boot sector or the file allocation table .And if that is the case you cannot start Windows.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just a small correction; NT supports the fat file system.

You could slave your drive to a system that will recognize it and do a boot time virus scan. Some AV software gives you this option.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488495

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice