1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File System Problem Windows XP -> NTFS

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by pwoer, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pwoer

pwoer Thread Starter

I was not sure which section to post this question in, sorry if I chose the wrong area. I recently was doing some digital forensics homework that involved acquiring data from an image file of a FAT16 drive. I was going through the assignment and when selecting the target drive to copy to, I accidentally clicked my external back up drive instead of the USB that it was meant for. I cancelled the transfer but the file system had already changed from NTFS to FAT16 and cleared out the drive. I have tried to convert back with convert *drive*/fs:ntfs in cmd, which now says there is not enough disk space to complete the conversion. (even though the drive is a 1TB drive.) The drive shows that its current capacity is 100MB. Chkdsk comes back with no errors in the drive. Does anyone have any idea of how I could fix this problem? I was hoping that maybe it was a new partition to the drive but it does not seem to be the case. The software used when this accident happened was ProDiscover Basic.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You overwrote your NTFS partition with a FAT16 partition, you will need to either attempt to recover the whole partition or if that fails to recover the individual files. Try TestDisk First: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I'm pretty sure Computer Management will show you your basic disc information and should also allow you to format the drive, but you may lose the data on it.

The "Not Enough Disc Space" message is I think due to the conversion will use another disc space area to back up the files then convert... but I am not 100% on that as I haven't done one in a long time. I assume your main hard drive (C: ) is not more than 1TB free space?

4. pwoer

pwoer Thread Starter

That is correct. I ran TestDisk and Easeus partition recovery. They both found the ntfs partition and I recovered the files to a different external HD. Thanks for the quick responses.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Glad you got your files back (y)

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Good to know :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087492

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice