1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File system to use when burning a data DVD

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Varminter556, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Varminter556

Varminter556 Thread Starter

Just started using Cyberlink to burn video files to DVD+R disks as a simple data DVD (no conversion to VOB file happening here).
    In the configuration tab I noticed the option to choose 'File System':
    - ISO9660/Joliet
    - UDF 1.02
    - UDF 1.5
    - UDF 2.0
    - UDF 2.5
    Did some quick research on what UDF is and concluded that for my OS and disk type (DVD+R) I should use UDF 2.0
    I burned a disk full of video files (mostly AVI's but at least one MKV).
    No one file was greater than 800mb.
    When the burn and verification was complete I tried to view the disk on same PC.
    Disk was full but appeared to contain nothing.
    Took the disk and tried playing it in the DVD Player attached to TV.
    All files were there and played without problem.
    Repeated the process choosing the ISO9660/Joliet file system option.
    Disk contents could be viewed and played on PC and the DVD Player.
    Apparently, if I want to read data from the completed disk on a PC I have to choose the ISO9660/Joliet file system option?
    Can anyone explain what is happening here?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

UDF requires a UDF file system driver to view the contents. Most modern OS's can do it, but not all.

The most common file system that is most compatible is probably the ISO9660 with the Joliet extensions. Microsoft uses both file systems simultaneously on their media to expand compatibility. But they use UDF 1.02 for reasons beyond me. However, that UDF version seems to be preferred by others as well, so there must be some logic to it.

Most burning software will allow you to use both at the same time.

3. moper

moper

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/978290

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice