1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File transfer / File system conflict.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Therion11, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Therion11

Therion11 Thread Starter

I have a rather large rar file (50GB) I tried transfering it to my external hard drive but it said the file system did not allow transfer of such a large file...

What can I do to get the rar onto the drive?

2. analogking

analogking

I'm just throwing this out there. What is the file system on the drive? Fat partitions have a small file size cap.

3. Therion11

Therion11 Thread Starter

File system is FAT32. I was talking to a friend and he mentioned I'd need to format it to change the file type. But I have data on there I can't take off easily.

Is there any way I can change the file system without formating the drive?

4. CCBD

CCBD

If you own winrar the simplest thing would be too unrar and make it into the r001 files or whatever where they are in seperate parts. And then put them on the drive

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can convert the file system to NTFS if you want. But all data should be backed up, of course. Having only one copy of anything is a very bad idea.

The conversion should not cause you to lose any data, but things can always go wrong.

Run a chkdsk /f on the drive to be sure the file system has no errors. Then, open a command prompt and type:

convert X: /FS:NTFS

where X: is the drive letter of the partition you want to convert.

6. Therion11

Therion11 Thread Starter

Thank you Elvandil I'll try that.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

It would be better, if you had access to partitioning software, and could move the data off the drive, to repartition it so that you could choose the cluster size. But that can be a later project.

8. Therion11

Therion11 Thread Starter

Partitioning software? I'll be able to move everything off the drive when I reformat this computer. But for now critial system problems keep me from freeing up space or wasting time.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!