1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

file transfer from Win98 to WinXp

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mvyoung1, Nov 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mvyoung1

mvyoung1 Thread Starter

I have two computers networked together using a Fujitsu modem and a IPAQ router. No problem. My husband is going to use the WIN 98 and I want to transfer all my school files and miscellaneous stuff to the WinXP. They sit on desks next to each other. An employee at Best Buy told me all I would need is an Ethernet crossover cable. If I get one, what do I do with it to accomplish this task?

2. Subnet Mask

Subnet Mask

If they're already networked together, you don't need an additional cable.

3. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

Do the machines actually talk to each other ? If they do then, as stated above, you don't need any additional connection.

If the machines are not communicating with each other you can start with this article from Microsoft - it is probably the easiest way to connect two machines. This article does not mention XP, but the feature is available on XP machines.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q298446

How to Install and Configure the Direct Cable Connection Feature

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q298446

4. mvyoung1

mvyoung1 Thread Starter

Problem Solved. Now does anyone know of a site where I can get a driver for win 98 so it can print to the HP PSC 2210 printer?

5. Jest8

Jest8

Try here for the HP drivers for Win98

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/102115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice