1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File transfer Issues.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by big_pimp, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. big_pimp

big_pimp Thread Starter

Hey I've had issues transfering large or multiple files for a while.

The format doesn't seem to matter, but only to HD

IE: DVD to HD, Flash drive to HD, camera to HD.

On DVD's it says cannot read from source file or disk. on other sources it says cannot find the file specified. try again skip etc...

I installed a program callled total commander to see if this would do any better, it runs ok for a while, then gives up.

If I copy a large file 1GB plus it just gives up halfway thru.

If I splt the file and try and copy them all at once it will get so far then stop working usually after 20 or so files.

I have windows vista ultimate ediion SP1

I have tried the 2 fixes by microsoft:

Windows Vista Performance Pack (KB938979):
    Windows Vista Compatibility Pack (KB938194):

Both of which say "the update does not apply to your system"

Other than this my computer is running well.

Hardware.

AMD XP 3500+
    Asus K9N Neo-F mobo
    1 GB generic 6400 ram.
    250GB sata II HD Western Digital WD25 00ks 00mjbo

Problem has existed since first install, I tried re-installing a few times when i first bought vista, then assumed it may just be something that would be fixed with updates, as i had vista very near it's release.

Vista & chipset drivers fully updated.

Thanks in advance anyone for help.

edit: seems to happen with any file whether it originated on XP or Vista

2. big_pimp

big_pimp Thread Starter

hey as this post is 3 days old now, thought i'd do a cheeky bump and mention that ended up brining the PC home that I was trying to get the files copied from, it is also on vista ultimate and I just networked with this one and although not timing out, a 6GB transfer is taking 5 hours, I'm guessing thats a bit slow.

doing the transfer thru a 10/100 router. Speeds are around 400kbps or slower on large files, however if i do individual small files it hits over 3Mbps.

3. unbidden

unbidden

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Copying has been completely overhauled in SP1 so you shouldn't be having problems of that sort any more. How large are these files?

Any indications of memory problems? Or disk errors?

You may want to test them, anyway.

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:
    HD Tune
    CheckDisk 1.03 (Marks bad sectors as unusable.)
    HDAT2 (Diagnostics and bad sector recovery)
    MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
    Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:
    TachTech
    BleepingComputer

5. big_pimp

big_pimp Thread Starter

Hey it seems this may be fixed now, because the regional settings on vista are on UK and I bought Vista from a UK online shop, I always download the international english drivers for things like my graphics card and chipset etc.

Assuming that they are the same but with a bit extra info for non-us versions of windows.

However after trying to reinstall drivers etc a few times, I decided to download the nforce 550 U.S. english drivers rather than the international ones that it always redirected me to.

Now transfer speeds between the networked computer and from flash drive are at 3MB/s Not sure if this is good? because it has been slow so long, but it is definately 10x faster than it was, I'm yet to try a large file from disc.

Now I'm a bit worried as to why the international english drivers had issues, and should i change the other drivers such as graphics and sound which are using the international drivers to the U.S. English version or keep them on international English whilst there are no issues.

6. tipstir

tipstir

I've seem this happen too, but increasing network buffering over LAN does help. Have you ever tweak the network or are you just using the defaults?

7. big_pimp

big_pimp Thread Starter

It turns out it wasn't the international drivers that was the issue.

When i downloaded and installed the "latest" non-international chipset drivers from nvidia, it seems to have put my sata and network controller back a few, as windows update offered me new drivers after I installed them, a sata and a network controller driver, when I install these drivers through windows update, i get the file transfer issues.

On the drivers from the Nvidia site I dont have problems using international or u.s. it's only after I install the drivers from windows update that I get issues.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702547

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice