1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File transfer queuing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lunchbox, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lunchbox

lunchbox Thread Starter

Hey guys,

A bit of an unusual question. Just wondering if any of you had come across any software that would allow me to do the following.

I'm generally a pretty unorganized person, but i like to organise in one big chunk, especially with files on my HDD.

When i go to transfer multiple things at once it slows it down tremendously as the hard drive constantly has to go to different sectors.

What i'm looking for is essentially a way to queue local transfers as you would for an FTP.

Example: Move C:\my docos\music\trance to D:\music\trance
    When that is completed move C:\ftp clients\freddy.exe D:\programs

And so on and so forth. I know it is possible if i setup an ftp only accessible on loopback but i was wondering if there is such a utility that would allow me to better utilize the hard drives in the above fashion.

I'm pretty tech minded myself as i do actually work in tech support but ive never heard of anything like it. Have any of you?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, you could simply do batch commands in a batch file. Note the "" around file names is necessary for long file names, or any name with an embedded space.

move "C:\my docos\music\trance" "D:\music\trance"
    move "C:\ftp clients\freddy.exe" "D:\programs"

Put these in a text file named anything with a .BAT extension and double click on it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice