1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File Transfer Software

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by sbdblyss, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sbdblyss

sbdblyss Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I have a quick question.... I have been, for years, very frustrated with the method WIndows XP and previous versions use when terminating a file move or copy because of a file that is not accessible or cannot be found. Right in the middle of moving, for example, a large (40gb) file folder full of random file types to an external, the OS will inform me that it cannot copy a specific file and therefor gives up on the remaining files and leaves me with only half of my folder transferred. Now for the actual question: Do you know of any software that will help me move files and avoid this issue. I know that in Vista the user can choose to skip the file and continue with the transfer. Thank you for your time!

Jake :eek:

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Ycopy is designed to do just that--to copy files and skip the uncopiable and continue copying.

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I believe XXcopy will do this as well.

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Good ol' xcopy will work as well too, just use the /c switch. Even better, Robocopy will make repeated tries to copy a file in some cases, in case it was just a temporary glitch.. And Robocopy even has a sparse, but useful, GUI available, with check boxes for most of the switches, including tool tips to describe them. And it'll create a *.cmd file to run the job as well.

I haven't tested the x026 version that comes with the GUI, still using x010. I've seen that x026 doesn't set the errorlevel variable properly.

The GUI and x026 version can be found here:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc160891.aspx

The x010 version is included with Win2k3 Resource Kit tools, which can be found here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

The GUI download will install robocopy.exe to %windir%\system32
    The Resource Kit download will install it with the rest of the tools, default is %ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools

I used to have a link for just robocopy.exe, but can't find it now.

Jerry

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752946

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice