1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

file transfer??

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gooley, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gooley

gooley Thread Starter

hey there, I recently managed to network my new comp.(dell w/xp) to my old comp. (compaq w/ ME) as I want to transfer 40 gigs of files and was told last post that this was good way to do it. My problem is(using a router by the way) when i use the xp wizard it asks if i want to transfer using a direct cable, or a network or removable drive?? I'm kind of at a loss as i hoped i could just cut and paste or something easy like that. What is the easiest ways to transfer the specific files that I want? Any ideas??

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have them networked, can you find the other machine in Network Neighborhood? If so, did you enable file sharing on at least one of the machines, and go into My Computer and share at least one drive or folder? After you get that far, it's just like the drive is on the local machine, use Explorer to copy the files.

3. gooley

gooley Thread Starter

hi, I went thru the network wizard steps and have access to the internet on the client comp. and find the name i gave to the old comp. in my "workgroup" in mshome ,however when i dbl click on it i get "\\old not accessible.may not have permission to use this network source contact administrator. network path not found." I thought i did everything right, but obviously not. Any ideas??

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Do you have file and print sharing enabled on the computer you're attempting to log into? Did you share at least one resource (drive) in My Computer? It sounds like you missed one of these steps.

5. Del

Del

And you have to have both machines in the same workgroup. I share files between a ME machine and 2000/XP box with no problems using netbeui.

6. gooley

gooley Thread Starter

thanks guys. I decided to try to go with the old hard-drive as a slave and try the network hook up when i get my sanity back. Now i'm having slight prob with that and checking for help in hardware forum. I really really really love computers. Thanks for your help.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113799

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice