1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File Transfers After Resolved System Hijack

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by dwno55, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwno55

dwno55 Thread Starter

Hello,
    The other day my computer started blocking pretty much all of my programs from opening and tons of “this program is blocked by name.worm” kept popping up. When I called Dell tech support they said my system had been “hijacked” via a trojan, and I had to create a new user account and buy the System Mechanic software. I was told not to use the other account again and that I could delete it. I meant to ask this to the tech support operator but he disconnected before I could…

While I had almost everything backed up on an USB, there are a decent amount of (albeit not too important) things I do not have. When I go to delete the old account, it gives me the option to transfer over all of the old files. Would this be safe? I also thought I could log into the old account, copy over the few photos and documents I need to my external drive and then delete the old account. The tech operator did copy over everything that was backed up locally (which was nothing) so I thought perhaps the individual files wouldn’t be infected, just the browsers?

I guess I’m asking (perhaps stupidly) 1) if trojans could infect documents, pictures and videos and 2) if I would do any harm to my computer and this new system by bringing over the old files, or logging into the infected one again to retrieve them specifically. Many thanks for any help you can provide.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027989

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice