1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

file transfers

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by ckaas, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ckaas

ckaas Thread Starter

hi all, i'm in change of a small part of my school's website, and my schedule is so very busy, that i would really like to be able to make changes to the website from home. However, my school has closed all ports, and the server is not ftp. I was wondering if it was possible to write a batch file (or otherwise) that would run every so often on the server and pull files from another server (eg, my personal website, or some free hosting thing) onto the website drive? i would appreciate any ideas you people have about this. can it be done? and if so, how? thanks :)

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

ckaas
    IMHO I believe it would be more appropriate to work with the School Administration concerning this matter. Their Security measures are in place to prevent Hacking and by placing a script or Batch file on their server automatically retrieving Downloads would be circumventing their Security. Much like Spyware or Scumware would do for Ad generation. If you approach the Admin on this matter they may allow limited Password protected access for your Website updates.

Dave

3. ckaas

ckaas Thread Starter

yes i have approached the admin about this, placing the script is not a problem, my username is granted access to the server. However the school computer department is happy with the status quo on the network and does not wish to upset the balance of things with an ftp server. can i use a batch file to pull files from a remote location to the server? if not what can i do?

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

ckaas
    OK. I will move this to the Development forum where you may have better response.

Dave

5. ckaas

ckaas Thread Starter

6. Rockn

Rockn

Why not just have him open up FTP on the firewall and set up an FTP account for you. You could also have them set up a dial in account for you and do it the PCAnywhere way.

7. ckaas

ckaas Thread Starter

ah good idea, but there is no firewall per-say on our network, all ports are just shut down, and they refuse to open up any port. is there really no script i can use?

8. Snake~eyes

Snake~eyes

wow that is really suprising... I think you should go back to the network admin and ask them for advice as it is his/her network and he/she could probaly help you out more on what to do.

9. ckaas

ckaas Thread Starter

uhmm, i went back to the admin, we agreed that i would write a ftp batch file that would pull files from a remote website somewhere else onto the server every 24H. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice