1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File types

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by fulltimemartins, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fulltimemartins

fulltimemartins Thread Starter

I have a major problem with some of my pixs. Someone that was working with my computer and looking at my pixs somehow changed the file type that opened them to a .pvm file and now I can't open them at all. I have tried changing the programs that open them and sometimes it tells me it is empty, but it still shows that there is something in the file...such as 5.3 kb. Can anyone help me or is it a lost cause and my pixs are gone? :(

Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you mean that the files have a pvn ending now (file type)? What were they originally?

Do you have Avanquest Design and Print?

3. fulltimemartins

Yes, they now have a .pvm ending (file type) and originally they were jpg files. I don't have the programs you asked about but I have adobe photoshop.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try copying one of the files to your desktop and changing the file ending to jpg. Does it then open OK?

5. fulltimemartins

Same thing happens after I copied it to desktop...says it can't open because it is the wrong type of file.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you change it to a jpg ending instead of a pvn?

7. fulltimemartins

I did and now it says it could be either damaged or corrupt.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's not a good sign. It's possible that whoever used your machine did some sort of batch conversion. Do the files have an icon? What happens when you click on one of the files?

9. fulltimemartins

I didn't think it was a good sign either. The person that did this just didn't know what he was doing and just tried to look at the pixs, and doesn't really know what he did to cause it since he didn't know much about puters to begin with. When I try tp click on and open it comes up with the message about being damaged or corrupt. The icon is just one that is with windows photo gallery or adobe photoshop. I have a feeling these pixs are a goner huh?

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

If the file sizes look normal, I wouldn't give up yet. The image information may still be contained in the files.

Are you saying that the pvn files also have that icon or just after you change the file ending to jpg?

Try installing IrfanView and also install the plugin package that goes with it. Unless you want IrfanView to open your files, don't choose any of the file types on setup so IrfanView will not be associated with those files.

Open up the program and go to File > Open and try to open one of your pictures. IrfanView is pretty good about scanning files to determine what type they are regardless of the file endings. It may even tell you some useful information about the file type. It's worth a try.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701627

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice