file types.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ray9

hi. My HP compac, on Vista Basic, seems to have its files mixed up, if i click on a programm to open it, [and most things in controll pannal] i get a dialogue box saying open with. [note pad, media player etc] also the mouse has stopped scrolling, this happened when i deleted adobe reader, as that was doing the same, taking over programms. hope you can help. ray.

Ent

Josiah
Retired Trusted Advisor
Does this only happen to shortcuts? That is if you try to open a document, picture, etc directly does it open with the right file? And if you open a program directly (press Windows + R and type notepad.exe to test) does it open.

If so then you probably have a particular issue with the shortcut association.
Try this fix: http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/lnkfix_vista.zip

ray9

Does this only happen to shortcuts? That is if you try to open a document, picture, etc directly does it open with the right file? And if you open a program directly (press Windows + R and type notepad.exe to test) does it open.

If so then you probably have a particular issue with the shortcut association.
Try this fix: http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/lnkfix_vista.zip
hi,I went to winhelponline , but pc is just the same. when I click on some of the icons, it says application not found. but most of the programms says "OPEN WITH" as if it were a file. system restre is frozen, also most of the stuff in controll pannal, says "OPEN WITH" hope you can help. Ray.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online