1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

file types.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ray9, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ray9

ray9 Thread Starter

hi. My HP compac, on Vista Basic, seems to have its files mixed up, if i click on a programm to open it, [and most things in controll pannal] i get a dialogue box saying open with. [note pad, media player etc] also the mouse has stopped scrolling, this happened when i deleted adobe reader, as that was doing the same, taking over programms. hope you can help. ray.

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

3. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Does this only happen to shortcuts? That is if you try to open a document, picture, etc directly does it open with the right file? And if you open a program directly (press Windows + R and type notepad.exe to test) does it open.

If so then you probably have a particular issue with the shortcut association.
    Try this fix: http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/lnkfix_vista.zip

4. ray9

ray9 Thread Starter

5. ray9

ray9 Thread Starter

hi,I went to winhelponline , but pc is just the same. when I click on some of the icons, it says application not found. but most of the programms says "OPEN WITH" as if it were a file. system restre is frozen, also most of the stuff in controll pannal, says "OPEN WITH" hope you can help. Ray.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970365

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice