1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

file will not open

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by joanied, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joanied

joanied It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

hello & help!
    We have Windows 98 updated edition. 56k modem and 128 RAM (just upgraded the memory from 64RAM).
    My husband has many spread sheets that he uses (we farm and all our farm stuff is on the computer)
    Last week he had a spread sheet up and I needed to get into my web site to do some work. I minimized his spread sheet to the task bar and went to work on my web site...the computer froze. I tried everything, and had to shut down. (If it matters, we had the memory upgrade done just after that)...
    today he went to work on his spread sheet...here is the problem:
    he has it backed up on a hard drive, but, when he tried to open the file a box comes up that says:
    Cannot open the document C:/my documents/works misc/

Can someone please help us?? If the file (spread sheet) is there, why won't it open?? Was it somehow corrupted when the computer froze, and if so, can we still get it back??
    Please help...he really needs to get this file.
    I can give more details if you need them. The file is a microsoft works program.
    Thanks so much.
    joanied

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Are you trying to open it from within the Works program?
    Or, from your Recent Documents?

If so, use My Computer or Explorer, and browse to the folder C:/my documents/works misc/, find the file you are looking for and double click on it, and see if it now opens. (well, see if the file is even there first, obviously)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113590

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice