File Won't Delete!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

snaithbert2

Quick question folks:

I was copying a video file off a CD to my hard drive when everything crashed.

When I rebooted, the file was in the location I copied it to, only it wouldn't play.

When I went to delete it, it wouldn't let me.

When I try to delete it, I get a message saying it's being used by another person or program. Only there are NO other programs running, so I can't see how it's being used.

Can anyone out there help me delete this file?

It might not be taking up much room or harming my machine (I hope) but it annoys me to see it just sitting there, useless.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Snaithbert

First,you may not have the proper codec to play the file,if you give me some more info about the file i'll help you find the right codec.
Second,if you really want to delete the file,you have to remove it from the player you were using to play it

I've noticed this happen with very large tiff or other image files that I try to delete. When selected, explorer is trying to preview the file, its the other user in the message. If I let explorer go ahead and do its thing and wait it out, I can delete the file. Sometimes takes a minute or 2. If the file is corrupt, you may have to go to the command prompt and delete it from there.

-Newton

When you open explorer, right click in window. View-->list. Then delete. You have thumbnails set, so it it actually trying to open the file to show you a thumbnail. you can also go up one directory and delete from parent directory.

snaithbert2

Well, the file is gone.

I downloaded this program called, "NecroFile" and that allowed me to delete it.

Though one odd thing was that when I tried to delete it via NecroFile, at first it said it couldn't delete it. Then when I closed the program- the file was gone.

So maybe NecroFile changed it's mind, or maybe the file was never really there in the first place, or who knows.

All that matters to me is that it's gone and I no longer have to see it and get annoyed.

Thanks for the help with this, I really appreciate your suggestions.

Cheers,

Snaithbert

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online